Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrators and Energy Consumption
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 08, 2008 01:46AM

I just got an Excalibur dehydrator and used it for the first time last night to make crackers. I can't help but feel a little environmentally irresponsible. 10 hours for a handful of crackers! Anyone know if there is such a thing as energy efficient dehydrators?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrators and Energy Consumption
Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 09, 2008 12:20AM

This is one of the reasons why I refuse to mess with a dehydrator. I've already given up many foods, why not give up crackers and cookies too? If I want dry grains, I sprout them and leave them on the table top or in the window to see the sun.
Sorry this isn't an answer, this is just my personal thoughts. smiling smiley

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 09, 2008 05:39AM

Okay, my last post didn't help you out much. Maybe this link will: [www.buildinggreentv.com]
SOLAR POWER!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 09, 2008 02:44PM

Wow, that's creative! Thanks for passing that along!

Wish I had thought about this BEFORE purchasing the dehydrator!

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 09, 2008 08:43PM

I like the simplicity of the concept...Thanks

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: May 26, 2008 05:34AM

From what I have heard, it's more like leaving on an incandescent. I would focus more on things like not using cars or planes, the amount of energy they use makes a dehydrator look like nothing.

Date: May 27, 2008 02:45PM

I'm inclined to agree with rost's comment above.......

idarastar - What a great link!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: selfpete ()
Date: June 07, 2008 10:49AM

just by not eating like most people do, you're probably saving enough energy to shut down a small power plant - I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you still feel guilty, buy a couple of the super high efficiency bulbs if not for yourself, maybe a friend or relative, that would more than make up for the usage, hope that helps

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:20PM

There is a wonderful non-electric dehydrator called the Food PanTrie that is supposed to dry just as fast or faster than the excaliber. I have gotten rid of my dehydrators and am using the sun, then planning on hanging a food PanTrie above my wood stove in winter...we have gone off grid and I am working on writing a raw recipe book for off grid raw fooders. We are here in KY and are working on a donation only raw food rtreat that is totally off grid. Any suggestions,questions or just want to talk to another crazy raw mom call me,Kristi at 606-674-9782

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables