Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Urgent recipe request: PAD THAI!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 25, 2008 05:36PM

My biggest weakness for cooked food is PAD THAI. Yum... But I learned the hard way this morning, my body literally does not digest rice anymore. Not at all. And I love the pad thai flavor too much to quit. I want pad thai--but it doesn't have to be cooked.

I used to not be able to imagine giving up my Indian curries--until I perfected the raw recipes myself.

I've recently mastered the art of raw nori rolls--now I will literally never have to worry about caving to sushi with rice again!

It's awesome to have a backup plan--but I have no backup plan for a good pad thai. All the recipes on goneraw are like, "25 cups of oil, 1 pound of salt, 3.5 bottles of agave, and cheers to your better health!" Yuck. No thanks.

There's also a raw restaurant downtown that serves a pad thai... but it has no flavor of nuts, tamarind, or lime (WTF). Good dish, but not really a pad thai at all.

So... if anyone has any yummy pad thai ideas to share with me, I will graciously remember your kindness every time I enjoy the recipe for a meal!

Thanks! <3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Urgent recipe request: PAD THAI!
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 28, 2008 12:41PM

I do roughly the following:
1/3 c. young coconut meat
juice of a lime
cayenne or pepper spice to taste (my hubby grows and dehydrates our peppers and grinds them up), tamarind, a clove of garlic, ginger, a little miso or nama shoyu or salt -- blend that all up for the sauce, adding a little water if needed.
I also add 1/4 cup ground sprouted peanuts or almonds to this. Toss with whatever veggies you like, some sprouts, and finish with Thai basil, cilantro, mint (1-2T. each). Sometimes I want the sauce a little sweet or more limey. I play around with the recipes I use because my tastes vary. If you let it sit for an hour, the flavors combine nicely. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 30, 2008 06:59PM

Coconut noodles in a Thai Peanut Sauce

1 large younger coconut (you can make noodles out of the older ones too and I will be writing a post to show you how soon!)
1 carrot, juilenned
1 small bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 large lime, cut in half
1/2 cup ginger
Splash of sesame oil
Splash Nama Shoyu (optional)
Honey or agave nectar to taste
1/2 cup to 1 cup coconut water
1 small clove of garlic (totally optional if you don’t like garlic)
6 Thai basil leaves OR 10 spinach leaves will work just as well!
2 stalks green onion (scallion), julienned.
1 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes will work also (I usually add more but I am toning the recipe down a bit for you guys. If you are a pepper fiend like me feel free to tweak)
About 3/4 cup raw peanuts or an equal amount of raw peanut butter
Couple Tblsp cashews or equal amount of cashew butter
Small handful of peanuts for garnishing

To make noodles:

Crack coconut open, reserve water and gently and carefully remove flesh as intact as possible using a flexible spatula. Cut in to thin strips (this does not have to be perfect and please don’t stress yourself out making the noodles all the same size as the sauce covers ANY imperfections). Set aside

To make sauce:

If using whole nuts, blend until a smooth nut butter consistency is reached. Don’t fret if the nut butter isn’t entirely smooth. This is a very forgiving recipe.

In same blender add: ginger, pepper, garlic if using, sesame oil, honey or agave and water (adding small amounts at a time until desired taste and consistency is reached. If you are serving right away squeeze one half of the lime into mixture and blend and serve. If you aren’t serving right away store mixture in fridge, bring to room temperature and then add the lime right before serving.

Assembly:

Cut remaining half of lime in half again. Toss together carrots, basil or spinach, coconut noodles, green onions and cilantro and arrange on plate. Pour peanut sauce over, top with additional nuts if using and arrange lime halves on each plate. Serve and enjoy!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 03, 2008 03:14PM

geez kreekilo

u deserve an award or something

fabulous!

here ya go

OFFICIAL BLUE RIBBON AWARD FOR RAW PAD THAI goes tooooooooo ( sounds of drums rolling in the background)

KREEEEEEEEKEEEEEEELOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!

whooo hooooooooooo!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables