Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Smoothies
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: July 07, 2006 11:03PM

I'd like to add more greens to my smoothies, but I don't know if there is a good formula to follow to make sure it will taste good. I usually use mostly fruit in my smoothies, sometimes with some green algae or spirulina, but don't know how to approach adding fresh greens. I don't want to make it too green, and taste bad, is there a formula, like half fruit, half greens, and what exactly is considered greens in a green drink - leafy things only like spinach and kale, how about cucumbers, asparagus, peas, and so on - would that work, and would it taste ok? I made a vegetable smoothie a long time ago, and it was so awful tasting it put me off for a long time. I'd love to hear some ideas of what I could try - anyone have a favorite recipe to share?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Smoothies
Posted by: tummyANDyou ()
Date: July 09, 2006 06:06PM

i'M ONLY WITH THE POINTER THAT ANOTHER FORUM (OR FORMER) PARTICIPANT HAD PAINSTAKINGLY COME TO REALUZE YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH ROUGHAGE IN YOUR SMOOTHIE! thus maybe that's why some have a bias for the fruit (sweet or not bland) additions as well as your zest interest reasoning.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2006 10:46AM

Hi Sapphire,

I recently went to a talk given by Tanya Zavasta. Her husband made a green smoothie and it was delicious. It was made in the Vitamix and consisted of dark greens and mangoes. I'm not sure exactly which greens they used - I think one was watercress and one was either collard greens or swiss chard, but I tried it at home and made it with romaine lettuce and mangoes and it turned out good. I used about 2 cups of romaine with 1 mango. It's surprisingly sweet. If you are concerned about it not being sweet enough, try about 2 cups lettuce or spinach mixed with 2 mangoes. I believe the recipe for her smoothie is in her recipe book.

Hope that helps.

Sharon

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 20, 2006 05:14PM

My green smoothie, I never made green smoothies before, ever. But for the last week I've been trying them and they are GREAT. They are like a spicy soup.

I use one leaf of kale, the leafy part not the stem, does anyone use the stem?. Then cucumber skins, this way I don't have to eat the tough cucumber skins in my gespacho and they get processed finer in the smoothie. Cucumber skins are supposed to have silca which is good for the skin.

When I first made it I added salsa for seasoning, now I season it like a salad, both work great. I've never added fruit to it, it just doesn't sound right to do that but a lot of people do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2006 05:15PM by Lillianswan.

Date: August 08, 2006 08:02PM

Green Smoothies are great! You should get the book "Greens for Life" by Victoria Boutenko....it's all about green smoothies! You can get it from her website at www.rawfamily.com. I've been drinking them every morning for the last five days and I feel great!!!!!!!! I've blended watermelon, romaine, and water; I've blended strawberries, romaine, bananas, and water, and I've blended blueberries, banana, and celery with water. I'm going to try peaches with bananas and spinich next!

Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 08, 2006 08:57PM

Is romaine the American name for something we have in the UK, or is it just something I have never come across?
Humbug

Date: August 09, 2006 11:50PM

I use -
4 cups of oj
2 Japanese cucumbers
1 head of lettuce - romaine with the spine cut out
1/2 a small haas avocado
hand full of raspberries or strawberries

very yummy!

Posted by: chiquita ()
Date: August 21, 2006 11:56AM

My favourite 'hearty' green smoothie is a blend of:
pineapple
cucumber
a sea vegetable (i use zeekraal but i don't know what its called in english)
juice of a lime
inch of ginger
handful of cilantro

Posted by: amanda1382903 ()
Date: August 24, 2006 12:34AM

Try half a bunch of kale (half of a grocery store size bunch) with 1 peach, 1 plum, 1 nectarine and 1 banana. I only add just enough liquid (water or juice) to get the blender turning. I like em thick, so I can chew each sip a little to mix it with saliva and aid in digestion. YUM

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: September 27, 2006 02:38PM

Hi,
In reply to humbug's earlier query ref romaine lettuce in UK.

The large supermarkets sell them eg Sainsbury, Waitrose and Tesco (organic too). I don't think I've seen them in the farm shop I often go to though. So depends where you shop.

John

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: October 16, 2006 09:32PM

I love green smoothies too. My favorite at the moment is: a large bunch of organic spinach ( or kale or collards), a few peeled key limes and a peeled and chunked ripe mango blended in my K TEC. Add some filtered water if you want to.

I loved Victoria's book also; her children have a nice book out too that I like to use as well.

Date: October 17, 2006 05:16PM

Hey ya'll

Was sitting here eating my daily green smoothie and just had to give a WOO HOO for Green Smoothies!!!

My current favorite: Banana/apple or bosc pear/avocado/romaine or baby spinach... heavy on the greens, I only use maybe 1/4 cup fluid (juice or water) and eat them like a pudding . . . YUM YUM

I average 2-4 per week. Some of the premade ones available at our local stores: Naked Brand-Green machine and Bolthouse Farms-Green Goodness... both very tasty also.

Think I'm in total agreement with Victoria - they are VERY addictive! LOL

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 18, 2006 03:26AM

Just celery and romaine can make a great mild smoothie.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: October 18, 2006 04:31PM

The one i made last night was my favorite so far. 3 pears, 4 leaves of kale and a handful of raspberries. Yummy!

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 07, 2006 10:56PM

mmam5 Wrote:
> I average 2-4 per week. Some of the premade ones
> available at our local stores: Naked Brand-Green
> machine and Bolthouse Farms-Green Goodness... both
> very tasty also.

Mmmm.. I'm glad to hear Green Goddess gets approval from at least one of you raw foodists <wink>. I was buying it before ever coming to this site. At the grocery store earlier today I debated against getting a bottle because I thought maybe they aren't fresh enough but decided I like them and right now I have no way to juice anything myself. I'm glad I read this thread, I feel better about my decision. :-)

Renee

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Date: December 09, 2006 11:32AM

I got my Green for Life book in the post yesterday and have finished reading it already. Gheez! What an incredible book...it could just about replace every raw book I own with the significance it places on greens. Problem is, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. How much do you drink a day? Do vitamized smoothies oxidise within a few hours, therfore rendering them basically non-beneficial or do the enzymes stay intact over the day? Which are the better greens to eat can anyone around here let me know? What about de-tox...I'm really scared of detox (I've got 5 kids and I need to be able to cope on a daily basis! (-winking smiley
Any suggestions anyone??
Thanks.

Date: December 11, 2006 05:03AM

How about a danelion green smoothie with mango and banana and milk thistle. I had that today smiling smiley

Date: December 11, 2006 05:03AM

How about a dandelion green smoothie with mango and banana and milk thistle. I had that today smiling smiley

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: December 11, 2006 08:24PM

Hi scotgirl29,

About storing smoothies for later -

I wonder if a coffee thermos might be a good way to keep the smoothie from oxidizing. Even if you lose a bit of the value of the drink, you are still miles ahead of some of the other food choices you could make, I bet!

Of course, if you find yourself at the soccer field and pour yourself a mug of this concoction, you will probably raise a few eyebrows from the other parents, haha!! (Don't know if you are a soccer-mom, but I seem to spent half my free time there, and the other half at the ice-hockey rink, haha!)

Thank you everyone for so many great ideas! I am becoming very adventurous about creating new and wonderful green flavors!

Sapphire

Date: December 14, 2006 12:31AM

Hi Sapphire, thanks!, that's a good idea. I have actually just purchased 2-specially-made-for-green-smoothie flasks from Frederic Patenaude's site, so I'm looking forward to receiving them in the post. I think they will be better than a regular drink bottle, and agrees with your idea of the thermos. I'm no soccer- Mum (I'm in Australia) but becoming a footy-mum is looming!ha ha. I want to get a handle on this green smoothie thing soon, espesially as it is an incredibly hot Summer here at the moment and I want to make the most of the hot weather with the greens. I'm keen to get a garden going too. That'l be heaps cheaper.

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: December 25, 2006 04:24AM

I find that using rejuvelac as the only liquid in my green smoothies makes them taste much better than if I use water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables