Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Feeling yucky on raw mushrooms and other questions...
Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: August 29, 2009 10:02PM

Did the stuffed mushrooms today from this site and felt Very queer after, to coin an old fashioned phrase.Heady, dizzy, nauseous almost, sore throat later on. Felt 'orrible' I've had this before with mushrooms. Thought it was my imagination or dismissed it because I like mushrooms. I shall dehydrate them more and then give them away to a friend who's into raw. I can't face that again! Anyone else had similar?

New to dehydrating
My dehydater door lets in air? is this normal, it's not sealed? Things dehydrate at a quicker rate at the back.

I did Ani Phyo's creamy avocado soup and I love avocado so was looking forward to it immensely but found it too creamy and I didn't like the flavour with the miso and chipotle, tasted strong and meaty. Too rich! Maybe I overdid the chipotle.

Did I tell you I did sweet seed crackers! They are great but will definitely need further sweetening with honey or agave next time.

Is essene bread raw? They sell wonderful loaves at the health food shop and that has gone down very well.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feeling yucky on raw mushrooms and other questions...
Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: August 30, 2009 03:31PM

Can't address all your questions, but ...

If you didn't like that mushroom recipe, try another one. A lot of mushroom recipes call for the use of nama shoyu or Bragg's--maybe you are having a reaction to that. I see that the stuffed mushroom recipe on this site that you mentioned calls for TWO TABLESPOONS of Bragg's!!!!! Yikes! I would use *maybe* 1/4 teaspoon, and add more in little increments if I wanted to punch up the flavor, You can always add more, but you can't take it out if you've added too much. Bragg's is a very strong condiment; if you are going to use it, less is always more, in my opinion.

Or give mushrooms a pass for now. Maybe your body is telling you to back off them for awhile.

Re Ani Phyo's soup--there are lots of raw recipes that are way too fatty/salty/highly seasoned--and I am person who likes salt and highly-spiced foods. Some raw recipes call for ludicrous amounts of nama shoyu, Bragg's aminos, salt, garlic, etc. Try cutting back on seasonings and fat in these recipes and see how it goes.

Essene bread is not raw, but the grains are sprouted. It is nutritious and is an excellent option for people who are transitioning, or people like me who don't have a dehydrator and don't plan to get one, but still want to have 'bread' from time to time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 03:34PM by RawLibrarian.

Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:06PM

Thankyou rawlibrarian, those were some really helpful comments.

I didn't use braggs, not something I can get here in France to easily, I substituted a teaspoon of marmite. I'm backing off for a while, just the thought makes me feel nauseous. But I'm new and detoxing so goodness knows whats going on with the body anyway.

I felt horrible this morning too and very tired in the afternoon. Couldn't figure out if it was the shrooms or some sort of detox.

yes, I think the soup would have been lovely with a quarter of the miso and a tiny pinch of smoked paprika called for.

It goes to show that you should taste as you go along and trust your tastebuds, not books.

I am glad I got the dehydrater for transitioning with dense stuff and think the essene bread will be really helpful too during this time although not strictly raw.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: July 22, 2010 02:08AM

Some people are sensitive to the nightshade family of foods (mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant). I am one of those people, although those are some of my favorite foods!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 22, 2010 02:49AM

mushrooms are not related in any way shape or form to nightshade, they aren't even plants... however many people are allergic to mushrooms, but most arent allergic to ALL mushrooms, id suggest experimenting with different types, like chanterelles, hedge hogs, Boletus Edulis... good stuff!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables