Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Warming soup
Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:32AM

Hi,

Can you warm your raw soup in a microwave or stove without killing the enzymes? Is lukewarm about right or could you go a little warmer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warming soup
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:16AM

I would definitely stay away from any microwave use at all. I have seen reports that enzymes start to be destroyed at 110 and are pretty much gone at 118 degrees.

Some folks make raw soups with their hi speed blenders. If I felt the need to eat warmed foods, i suppose I would use my blender.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:42AM

You can heat on the stove, stirring constantly so the temp stays even (doesn't get hot spots) just to warmed.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 01:51AM

a decent electronic thermometer could probably help you make sure you stay below that safe range too...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 20, 2010 03:08PM

You don't need a thermometer, so long as you can comfortably hold a finger in the liquid for a bit it's not too hot. If it's not cooking you, it's not cooking the soup either winking smiley.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 11:17PM

hmmm, well, at least for me, that takes place far past 108-115... My comment was based on the assumption punkrotten wants to stick to what is generally considered "raw" if not, then might as well heat it as hot as one is comfortable with... I guess that means most of the soups Ive ever made have been raw, as most soups I don't heat them up beyond a comfortable eating temp...doesn't cook megrinning smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 23, 2010 03:53AM

This article about the dangers of the microwave said that the Russians had found that:

[www.halexandria.org]

"+ Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens."

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:33AM

I'd put it in a dehydrator at 105 degrees F for 2 hours. Nice & warm, no harm no foul.

Paul

Posted by: teresa412009 ()
Date: September 06, 2010 07:09AM

I often do it,sounds convinient

Date: September 10, 2010 11:14PM

I definitely would not use a microwave. Microwaves actually restructure the molecules and your body doesn't recognize it as food. What a waste of raw food!

If you are very careful you can heat on the stove top on warm. A good measure is to test if it is baby body warm. Mothers have done this for years. Baby bottle warms is 98 degrees.

Also, some blenders will heat the soup.

peace be with you,

Rose Lee Calabro
[www.livingintheraw.net]

Date: October 04, 2010 04:53PM

while the enzyme theory is pretty much bankrupt now, if you still want to ensure the enzymes are not killed, a dehydrator is the right way to go under 110 as I said in my August post. If you don't have the "Becoming Raw" book from Davis & Melina, suggest you buy or borrow it. Enzymes are bunk. Best.

Paul

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 04, 2010 06:59PM

Pborst: Care to elaborate? If you are saying that it's overrated, then why should we even care about raw at all?

Date: October 06, 2010 10:32PM

BW,

First, apologies. My statements were a little overemphasized. But to answer your question, there are many reasons people go raw other than enzymes: 1) preservation of nutrients destroyed by cooking, 2) avoidance of toxins created by cooking (e.g. AGEs), 3) lower glycemic response, 4) lower carbon footprint among others. I think rather than my saying the enzyme theory is bunk which was inappropriate, I would recommend reading Davis & Melina's book "Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets" Chapter 10, "The Great Enzyme Controversy" pp 207-224. They present their findings in a very clear manner. Best.

Paul

Date: October 21, 2010 03:37AM

I always did it,it taste good

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables