Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mango and sapote recipes anyone??
Posted by: merry ()
Date: May 13, 2011 07:40AM

At the moment we have an abundant supply of mangoes and sapote - very cheap ....we are eating them plain, and also making a smoothie with mango, sapote and a bit of vanilla extract which is really good.
But would like any other ideas for good recipes for either of them - I have thought of some kind of mango salad dressing but no idea how to make it?
Thank you for any ideas...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mango and sapote recipes anyone??
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 15, 2011 09:12PM

this was posted in the recipe section maybe you can make something with the stuff you have based on the formulas below smiling smiley

Re: Any good recipes for raw salad dressing [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: katrink ()
Date: August 05, 2009 03:22PM

Today recipes were salad dressings from our raw food instructor. There isn't really a recipe but more a listing of items he uses to make dressings and some combos of them.
He uses 5 ingredient groups for creating his salad dressings. Groups A, B, & C are the main ingredients. D & E are items added depending on mood or salad. He also likes to add water to most dressings to allow for the use of less oil and to thin out the nut butters and blend the seeds. Always add the acids (C) last because that will make the dressings thicker and creamier.

(A) Oils/Fats- Olive oil, Flax oil, Coconut oil, Nut butters, Tahini, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Pumpkins seeds, Pinenuts, Almonds, Cashews, Macadamia nuts, Avocado

(B ) Salts - Celtic Sea salt, Crystal salts, Nama Shoyu, Miso ,Sea vegetables

(C) Acids - Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit, Tomato, Sauerkraut, Apple Cider Vinegar

(D) Sweets - Dates, Figs, Dried Fruit, Honey, Orange, Berries, Papaya, Mangos

(E) Herbs & Spices - Garlic, Ginger, Onion, Chili, Peppers, Cayenne, Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Dill, Mint, Curry, Sun Dried tomatoes

These dressings are all made in a blender.
Here are some combinations that can be made but by all means make up your own and be sure to write down the amounts and ingredients as you make them.
The first 3 on the list are the ones he demonstrated today, I will also list the ingredients of the salads he used them on.

Basic Tahini - Water, Tahini, Nama Shoyu, Lemon juice, Garlic (this was served on baby spinach and onion salad)

Spicy Thai - Olive oil, Almond butter, Nama shoyu, lime juice, honey, ginger, garlic and thai pepper (this was served on cabbage, bok choy, raisins, coconut and scallions)

Date dressing - Water, olive oil, miso, lemon juice, dates and garlic (this was served on a mixture of baby greens)

Creamy Italian - Water, macadamia nuts, celtic salt, apple cider vinegar, garlic, basil and oregano

Tropical Vinagrette - Flax oil, celtic salt, apple cider vinegar, mangos, papaya, mint and garlic

Sun Dried Dream - Cashews, celtic salt, grapefruit juice, apple cider vinegar and sun dried tomatoes

Ageless - Water, sesame seeds, miso, sauerkraut, garlic

Avo Dressing Avocado, celtic salt and lemon juice

Curry Cream - Tahini, celtic salt, orange juice, ginger and curry
These are just a few examples but be creative and make your own combos. Just be sure to blend until the are creamy because they will stick to the greens better and you won't be left with that puddle of dressing in the bottom of the bowl when you are finished eating. Oops I also forgot to add if you are using nuts or seeds toss them in with the oil or water before adding any other ingredients to allow them to be blended with out any chunks in the dressing, you can also toss whole garlic cloves in with the oil or water and save yourself having to mince them too.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 09:13PM by Jgunn.

Date: May 17, 2011 05:39AM

Thank you for the links!! I am always making the same dressing so glad to get new ideas....I suppose just blended nuts / sesame seeds can substitute for the nut butters since they are not available where I live?

Date: May 17, 2011 06:32AM

sure ..you can make your own nut an seed butters for sure smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2011 02:21AM

sorry Merry my answer couldnt have been so vague lol...

when making nut and seed butters .. you can make them in the blender or even a coffee grinder

you will have to experiment with the various seeds/nuts

if you want a thicker nut butter use an oil to thin out the seeds/nuts .. i use hemp oil cuz its very neutral tasting

if you want a thinner nut/seed butter use water or vinegar (if the recipe calls for vinegar anyways)

just add the oil / or water a little bit at a time till you get the consistancy you want smiling smiley

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 16, 2011 05:15PM

Mango Tomato Dressing
Mango
Tomato
Garlic
Optional: Salt or seaweed, Lemon juice

Mango Spinach Pudding
1 Mango
1-2 cups Spinach
Bit Chia Seed Gel or Water

Mango Tomato Soup
1 large or 2 sm Mango
1-2 Tomatoes
Garlic clove
Optional: mild greens
Blend.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 07:00PM

Mango tomato soup? That sounds heavenly! So going to make that as soon as I get to the market this weekend!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 20, 2011 01:29PM

You can make a sapote pudding alone or with banana or dates or a smoothie. If it's Mamey (my favorite), besides those options, here's a savory recipe. I've never tried it, but it sounds delicious.

Mamey Salad
Greens
Mamey, chopped
Tomato, chopped
Olive Oil
Dash Salt

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: July 04, 2011 01:41PM

Hi - I only just came back to this thread after the break as I'd forgotten about it...the mango soup does sound good! Thank you for all the suggestions....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables