Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kale Chips
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 18, 2009 01:41AM

I made some kale chips the other day that came out pretty tasty.

Blend:

juice of 1 valencia orange
1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
1-2 ribs of celery
2 tbsp ground sundried tomatoes
1/4 cup ground hemp seeds (or any raw nut or seed)

Blend until smooth. Take one bunch of kale, remove the thick parts of the stems, trying to keep the kale pieces as large as possible. Mix the sauce onto the leaves, coating all the kale. Dehydrate for 6 hours.

I start with a higher temp, say 140, for one hour. Then turn each chip over, so the bottom can dry. Then lower to 115, and dehydrate until done.

Re: Kale Chips
Date: February 26, 2009 09:38PM

Sounds great! Thanks, I will definitely try this!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 02, 2009 04:08PM

Awesome, Bryan! This sounds like it tastes like summer. It's about 17 degrees here in Detroit right now, so this will really hit the spot! Thanks!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 12, 2011 09:12PM

Here are some other tips I learned from John Kohler's video on making kale chips.

If you dehydrate your kale for an hour before putting your sauce on it, the kale shrinks and gets softer, so you can fit more kale on each sheet. When applying the sauce, use a sauce brush, and you only need to coat one side.

Also, I found that if I eat the kale chips before they are done, they digest easier and don't dehydrate me as much, since there is still moisture in the chips. So I dehydrate the chips for 1 hour plain, add the sauce, and then dehydrate for another hour. This is like a cooked kale dish, but made in a dehydrator for only 2 hours total.

Here's John's video: Easy Raw Food Kale Chip Recipe: Fresh from the Garden to Chip in only 12 hours

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 12, 2011 10:01PM

Have you guys ever had commercial kale chips? A company was sampling their brand at Whole Foods recently and I was underwhelmed. I would rather make my own...But I wonder with your recipe, Prana, if that amount of fat is enough to make the chips rich enough. Kale leaves have so much water that I would think you need a healthy dose of fat/oil in order to make them tasty...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 12, 2011 11:14PM

If you use too much oil they don't get crisp. The oil is pretty much just to stick the seasoning on.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 13, 2011 02:17AM

banana who, the chips I make have enough flavor for me, perhaps if you made them you might want to spice them up. But I can see the point about them not being that filling, as if you ate the whole batch, you would have only eating 1/4 cup of hemp seeds as the major caloric intake.

With John's technique, the sauce in my recipe is enough to cover 3 bunches of kale.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables