Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Key lime pie
Posted by: VeganDiva ()
Date: April 19, 2009 12:15PM

Hi

Does anyone have an idiot proof recipe for a key lime pie? Away from simple salads etc and I'm not so competent - so do you have something that's pretty straightforward?

I don't have a dehydrator, so I'd be looking to make one with a chilled base instead.

Help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Thanks so much, love n light,
Gill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Key lime pie
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 19, 2009 12:35PM

Key limes, dates and avocado blended and poured into a nut and date crust.

I actually have been thinking about a pie like this too lately.

I know I have seen the recipe somewhere. I bet if you look on goneraw.com you will find one.

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:44AM

Hey VG!

My beloved book has one..

Filling:
3/4 c lime juice
1/2 cup agave (i use stevia my pies..but of course not that much!)
1/4 c. coconut milk
1 cup avaocado
2 tsp liquid vanilla
1/8 tps salt
2 tbs lecithin (i use raw, soy non gmo)
1/2 c + 2 tbs coconut oil

Mix all of this together..put in freezer to set for a couple of hours then refridgerate.

The crust is both macadamia nuts and pecans and some date paste, salt and vanilla.

I've never make this but when I do I'll post a pic of course!

Good luck..hope I'm not too late winking smiley

Date: April 21, 2009 10:43AM

Thanks so much..........once I've tried it out (very soon I hope!) I'll make sure I post a pic.

xxx

Date: April 21, 2009 03:46PM

Oh yes VeganDiva! Put a pic on!
Now you have me interested in making one!
Oh lets!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2009 09:10PM

OH did you make it? how does it taste?

Date: April 22, 2009 10:14AM

I've not had chance to make it yet....but it'll be soon. I think I'll start dreaming about lime pies soon if I don't get on with it - I can't wait!

xx

Date: April 22, 2009 05:09PM

okay kids...i'm waiting for my irish moss to do it's thing in the fridge overnite so i can add a creamy topping to the pie. since i love me a nice pie perhaps i can make a chocolate mousse while i wait since my son has requested one (and he is a good boy)
and BTW...i dream of pies all the time! chocolate, lime, banana cream......
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:24AM

hmmm makes me think of the Pie song from the movie Michael smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Artist - Michael soundtrack
Album - Michael
Lyrics - Pie Song

Pie
Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
all at once o well it's pie
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
an' wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie
Me o my
I love pie

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 23, 2009 10:51AM

I love love LOVE the pie song. Now I can dream about pies, but with a soundtrack too! xx

Date: April 27, 2009 07:02PM

OK, I made this, and it was.....delish!!! So limey, but so creamy n rich. I loved it. And so did my husband - it didn't last long.

I did take photos but I'm not sure how to upload them....

xx

Date: April 27, 2009 11:37PM

Oh Hey VeganDiva! Here you are over here! Hey..go to tinypic.com and you can load a pic there they copy/paste it into here. Is that too vague? If you need more deets lemme know. My kid taught me. I NEED TO SEE YOUR PIE!

Date: April 28, 2009 01:50AM

So here's my lime pie! Okay so I know it looks like my other pies but DANG what a taste sensation! Tangy and sweet and the macademia/pecan crust went so good with it as well! I need a little practice with my icing decorating skills though!
I'm making cakes next!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 28, 2009 10:29AM

Hey Jodi, We sing that song all the time. That is one of my husband's favorite movies.

That pie looks so good!!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:35AM

hehe me too tongue sticking out smiley im singing it now .. cuz my oh my look at that pie !!

i love the movie too .. when Michael the angel comes downstairs in his underwear doing a little dance lol.. hilarious tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 29, 2009 05:09PM

Mmmveg your pie looks terrific! I still need to tweak mine, but boy, it was just what I needed/wanted. Do you have any other fillings that you really really like (and I can try to copy!)?

Now then, I'm still having difficulties knowing how to put a pic up. I've gone to tinycurl, but am not sure what to do. Sorry! Believe me, I'm usually far more computer literate than this! Tips welcome.

Have a fabulous day xx

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:15PM

Hi VeganDiva,

Did you go to tinypic.com, or tinyurl.com? You can upload your photos to different sites, then you can link to the photos. Picasa and Flikr are famous services for uploading photos, but tinypic.com looks like the easiest one so far. You need to provide an image file, any tags you want to add, and after you upload the file it will give you code for using the image. The second code offered, "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards", is the one you will want to copy and paste into your forum post.

Date: April 29, 2009 11:31PM

VeganDiva..Hi!

Here's a step by step to load your pic

name your photo (of your pie) and know where it is

go to www.tinypic.com

over to the right where it says FILE click on browse and then click on your pie pic

Choose image in FILE TYPE

Just to make sure your pic will be the right size...On the resize part click MESSAGE BOARD (640 x 480) then click UPLOAD

After its finished uploading, click on IMG Code for Forums (this will highlight it in black)

Type Ctrl & C simultaneously (this will copy it)

LAST STEP:
Go to the message box (where you'll be posting your pic) and type Ctrl & v simultaneously (this will drop your pic). Keep in mind that your pic won't appear as a pic yet until you preview or post.

If you need more help lemme know k? Oh and I'll check out my pie section in my desserts book and get some more "pideas"!! heh heh. I want to make raw cakes

Date: April 30, 2009 05:38PM

Here we go....my key lime pie, made last weekend with love. I'm a pieaholic now!!

Mmmveg - how did you make the filling for your's it looks lighter n fluffier than mine. Your pies rock! (I hope I'm not getting pie envy?!) And thanks for the tips on uploading pics - easy peasy!

Date: May 01, 2009 12:19AM

OH WOW!! Love the pic! Pretty! Nice staging! I'm impressed my fellow pie making friend! LOVELY!

I think your pie looks floofy! It just looks like I have more filling in mine?
I blended mine up in my vitamix. How bout you?

I like your cute like goji's? on top! And do I see some lime zest? You creative little thing you!
My mouth is watering!

Oh and a nice pie would be a lemon meringue! Okay thats my next one. How about banana cream?

Date: May 01, 2009 09:57AM

Ahhhh thanks Mmmveg. It is a little lime zest on top, well spotted. And I can never resist a bit of goji action - I arranged goji 'flowers' all over it.

I don't have a vitamix, so mine's done with a food processor.

Lemon, banana, I'm lovin it all. Make sure you keep me up to date with your pie making antics and piedeas. I've been a bit scared of pie making but now I've embraced it I want to keep goin' with it!

Enjoy your day x

Date: May 19, 2009 02:14PM

I have been "raw" for about 2 months now and have been introducing live food to my friends & associates. I have been looking for this recipe for awhile because I'm putting on a Mexican theme dinner for 8 this Friday the 22nd.

Can you please tell me the quantity of ingrediaents that go into the crust and any special instructions?

Thanks..Rawsumvoyager

Date: May 19, 2009 04:03PM

hi rawsum!
sure! this is what my book says:
1 1/4 c. macadamias
1 1/4 c. pecans
3 oz date paste
1/4 tsp liquid vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

process all ingredients and press into the bottom and up the sides of pie dish/tin.

side note: making date paste isn't necessary to making crusts..i usually just use soft dates or soaked dates if the dates are firm. if you'd like to make date paste just blend dates with a bit of water until smooth.

good luck and lemme know if you need more help!

Date: May 19, 2009 07:58PM

Thanks Jennifer,

I am going to try this recipe before I make it for my guests next Friday. Don't want to be standing there with pie on my face! Or do I?

Will let you know how it goes.

best Wishes...Robert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables