Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

spring rolls
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 01:31PM

Hi everybody,

I've been eating these for at least a couple days last week and last night too.
Yum!

Slice a turnip (or daikon or other radish type root veggie) on a mandoline - these will be your wrappers.

Add thai basil, cilantro, and mint.

Add sprouts- I've been using mung sprouts

Add sliced mango and avocado. A little mashed avocado will seal your wrapper well.

In a bowl combine soy sauce, ACV, sweetener such as nectar or honey (maybe warm it a little because raw honey is solid), and cayanne pepper to taste. Sorry no porportions on that, I just add until it tastes right.

The turnip wrappers are kind of small, so I found if you eat it with chopsticks, your hands stay cleaner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spring rolls
Posted by: jlbff ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:00AM

sounds good

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: April 22, 2009 11:56PM

thanks for sharing! they sound devine!
i like the added mango..i love savory/sweet together!
i never have good luck with mandolines....haven't found a good one. they all go back to the store. i even tried the $50 OXO one. ho hum
i'm good at cuttin though!

Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:50PM

I found a mandoline at whole foods for $20. It's got a ceramic blade too, but no legs. It works pretty well. It's the only one I've used, so I can't tell you how it compares with others.

Date: April 23, 2009 05:05PM

i'll have to check that out..thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:00AM

I have a truly fantastic mandolin, that is stainless steel with legs and both a flat blade and a folded blade for thin spaghetti-like cuts. It is made by Bron in France. I strongly recommend this one, i use it as often as I can find an excuse to slice!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 30, 2009 05:22PM

I have the Bron mandoline too, and I agree that it is a great device. It isn't cheap, and you'll want to be careful not to abuse the blade, since it can't easily be replaced. You can adjust the width of the slices to get them just right for your purpose. There are two sets of optional cross blades that can cut each slice laterally into narrow matchstick/spaghetti widths, or wider carrot stick widths.

Here's a photo I made quite a while ago when I was making long, narrow zucchini strips for raw lasagna:

Date: April 30, 2009 05:23PM

well holy smokes! the bron better be good! It's like 100 bucks or more! I'll be putting it on my "i really want but can't really justify buying right now" list.
oy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables