Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I need advice on where to start a raw diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 05:51AM

I would like to eventually be on a fully raw diet, but need to start a little slow because I'm currently unemployed and don't have the resources to buy champion juicers and dehydrators (I have an old dehydrator, but it doesn't have any special screens, or adjustable temperature controls).Luckily, I do have a Vita-mix which I adore.

I could use suggestions on the best/easy ways to start and easy recipes that don't include a bunch of expensive ingredients I don't currently have.

Also, if there is anyone here in the Placerville, CA area who doesn't mind some company and helping someone new to this type of diet, please, by all means contact me.

Thanks all...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need advice on where to start a raw diet
Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: April 30, 2009 04:49PM

Some people would have you believe that expensive appliances, exotic superfoods, supplements, etc. are a necessity to eat raw. That's nonsense. A dehydrator and a juicer are not necessary. You can make juice with your VitaMix and strain the liquid through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag (or a paint straining bag); you can juice citrus fruits with a fork or a manual juicer (I have one of those pyrex dishes with a point in the middle and you turn the cut citrus fruit around the point and the juice pools up in the dish part); you can make all sorts of veggie salads and fruit salads using nothing more than a knife and a cutting board. You can make zucchini "pasta" by peeling a zucchini with a potato peeler and topping it with pesto or marinara sauce. Et cetera, et cetera.

I will say that an appliance I do find handy is a food processor. I already had one before going raw--a Cuisinart that I got almost 15 years ago and is still going strong. That will make easy work of lots of chopping and shredding tasks ... but again, it isn't a necessity.

Some raw foodists are quite low-tech:

Dr. Doug Graham and his 80-10-10 program (http://foodnsport.com/)

Storm and Jinjee Talifero (http://www.thegardendiet.com/)--none of their recipes require a dehydrator.

Jenny Cornbleet (author of "Raw food made easy for one or two people"winking smiley--none of her recipes require a dehydrator.

Ani Phyo (author of Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)--lots of her recipes are quite easy and don't require appliances that you don't have.

There are many others; these are the ones I thought of right away.

I don't make recipes with superfoods, young coconuts and other products that are expensive or not available. I substitute other ingredients if I can, or make something else if the unavailable ingredient is a necessity for a specific recipe.

Raw doesn't have to be complicated or hard. You can make lots of really tasty things with produce from your local grocery store and minimum appliances--I know, because that's what I do.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: April 30, 2009 10:34PM

i'm just staring out, too. it's been almost a month for me. i agree with the previous post, and just want to add that for me, keeping it simple was the easiest way to get going. i found 2 or 3 different things that i really liked, and just ate that, along with simple whole fruits and vegetables. now i'm branching out picking up new ideas here and there, and also listening to what my body seems to want.

good luck!

Date: May 22, 2009 06:03AM

Thanks, just the advice I was looking for!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: May 23, 2009 01:29PM

You're ahead of many beginners with a Vitamix, which really may be all you need. I was able to for years & likely won't own a dehydrator. Keeping it simple is the best advice. Also have variety and make it fun! smiling smiley

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: June 11, 2009 03:31PM

I agree that appliances are not essential to beginning a raw lifestyle.
As one progresses, the high quality appliances can be extremely helpful and healthful.
However, a lack of appliances does not mean that one cannot begin to eat living foods.

It is easy to begin with salads and many other foods which do not require appliances.
I recommend reading one of the several books about raw foods.
These books will give lots of great ideas and suggestions for how to get started with minimal or no equipment.
If you would like a few suggestions for books, just let me know.

It is best to read books or websites which are written by people not trying to sell appliances.
Our site can be a great resource for info as well, even though our purpose is to sell appliances to clients when they feel ready to purchase.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 11, 2009 06:45PM

wow!im in south lake tahoe! really close!thats so awesome and im so happy to connect with someone near me!

and i have your prediciment...im not wealthy,yet,(smile) and i buy a limited amount of raw foods.(boo hoo)i keep my spirits up though.alas sigh someday.im prayin for this lifestyle to be affordable!

for now, its whatevers in season fruit, small salads,and i save up cash each week to afford a superfood at the end of the month.

i only have a juicer and a blender.my advice for you would be to start the diet if your excited and go from there. you know, use the law of attraction and any means to aqquire what you need and desire...prayer,meditation,dreaming, visualizing...its so much fun, you FEEL like you have all you want!

never stop dreaming!

Posted by: chrisbeau ()
Date: June 22, 2009 03:55PM

HealthNVitality Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree that appliances are not essential to
> beginning a raw lifestyle.
> As one progresses, the high quality appliances can
> be extremely helpful and healthful.
> However, a lack of appliances does not mean that
> one cannot begin to eat living foods.
>
>
I absolutely agree with what you say above.. these appliances are not necessary but are extremely helpful and healthful the longer you follow this diet..

Also, on a budget, you can forage in your backyard for 'wild edibles'... in good weather they are much better nutritionally than what you can buy in any grocery store - and they're free. Be sure to study about them though.. so that you aren't eating anything harmful. and don't eat anything that has been sprayed.. or treated in any way.

Date: July 07, 2009 12:04AM

im having the same problems i just posted without looking at yours. I agree its very hard, i have an income but its still terribly hard trying to find things i like. What i found that i love is coconut yogurt, and salads. Whole foods has a good variety of things. Just take it slow.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 07, 2009 01:56AM

what i found helpfull when transitioning is

#1 make a list of all the foods you love
#2 identify what you love about them , is it the taste, texture, smell, whatever
#3 find raw vegan recpies that replicate / duplicate these tastes , textures, smells

often its not the *flesh* you crave its the spices/herbs or tastes of soemthing we crave.

i use the exact same spices and herbs that i used to use on my deep fried chicken as i do on my marinated zuchinni slices and feel satisfied. this tells me im not addicted to the chicken im addicted to the taste smiling smiley

does this make sense? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables