Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

spicy raw tortilla chips
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 09, 2009 06:32PM

i'm on a roll.... i came up with another idea that is inpiring me....

transitioning for me is the most challenging when i miss crunchy chips. i have the best tasting spicy salsa flavored corn chips in the dehydrator right now. i hope they come out tasting as good as the batter did....yum! if anyone wants the recipe, let me know- they're super easy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spicy raw tortilla chips
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 09, 2009 07:33PM

do you use sweet corn for the chips or field corn (corn used for cornmeal, cattle feed, corn oil, etc)? ive always found my field corn tasted better (its not as sweet and more neutral like corn chips) than using sweet cornsmiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 09, 2009 09:38PM

well, i'm limited to what i can find in the local produce market, which is the sweet variety, and not my preference. this is why i have spiced them up with fresh spicy salsa. how nice you have your own field corn to use. smiling smiley

Date: May 09, 2009 10:16PM

hehe thanks smiling smiley im growing some funky corn this year .. blue corn, indian corn and popcorn smiling smiley im excited to see what comes of it all smiling smiley

Date: May 09, 2009 10:21PM

lucky you! i love corn. enjoy it!

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 12, 2009 01:48AM

I'd like the recipe!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 09:26AM

They sound delish! Could I have the recipe?

Date: May 12, 2009 02:48PM

5 cups of corn, 1/2 cup of flax seeds, water enough to make it like consistency is kinda oatmealy (lol)

spices to taste .. go easy the first few times .. once dehydrated the spices concentrate a bit more so you dont want to overdo it lol

spread THINLY on the sheet and dehydrate till crispy or chewy or how you like em smiling smiley might take 5 hours or more depending on the dryer and i like to kinda score the mix once its kinda set up a bit for easier cutting later smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2009 02:50PM by Jgunn.

Date: May 12, 2009 04:14PM

thanks, jodi, i was out of town for few days....my son took me skydiving for mother's day...wow!

anyway,i used:

3 large ears of fresh corn
3-4 T. flaxmeal
fresh jalepeno slices
1 tomato
juice of 1/2 a lemon
fresh cilantro
a little salt

i processed, and spread mine into a one thick layer on a teflex sheet, they took longer to dehydrate, but were more substantial. after they were firm enough to flip off of the sheet, i cut them into triangles dried them for another few hours on the mesh. and jodi's right about the seasoning, especially the salt. if the batter tastes perfect, it's probably going to be too salty- go easy. the jalepeno, however, didn't get stonger, don't know why.

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 06:50PM

I made them and didn't care for the sweet taste of the sweet corn which seemed to intensify in the dried chip. We are in the middle of NJ farm land, so there must be a place to get field corn around here.

Date: July 21, 2009 09:21PM

maybe see if one of the farmers will sell you a couple of grocery bags of it , cattle corn if seen on the side of the road is generally WAY taller then people corn and the cobs are thinner compared to plumpper sweet corn cobs smiling smiley just look for it to be ripe (brown tassles) and hopefully catch it before they cut it down and turn it into silage which seems to be the popular thing to do around here smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 27, 2009 08:55AM

wow

imaginative people here

coolsmiling smiley

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: October 06, 2009 08:50PM

suzie08022 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made them and didn't care for the sweet taste of
> the sweet corn which seemed to intensify in the
> dried chip. We are in the middle of NJ farm land,
> so there must be a place to get field corn around
> here.

I made them with sweet corn as well and didn't like the flavor. Trying to find some field corn before it dies and dries (in Western New York)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables