Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Where can I get Irish moss?
Posted by: Helen ()
Date: June 09, 2009 08:00PM

Meanwhile there are myn raw cake recipes including Irish moss. Where can you buy this? I am from Germany, and all the German raw food companies that sell via the internet do not carry Irish moss. Looking at Ebay, I also only found seeds for the Irish moss plant. But I read that Irish moss that is used for raw cake consists of white flakes of this plant.

I would be glad if someone has an idea what to look for and if I can purchase this on the internet.

Thank you!

Helen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where can I get Irish moss?
Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: June 09, 2009 09:07PM

hi helen!
i use irish moss all the time. don't use low grade stuff! this is what i highly recommend. click on raw ingredients.
[www.royalhimalayan.com]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 10, 2009 08:08AM

Rawliving.eu

Kate woods site..reasonable prices and fast delivery! Hope that helps smiling smiley

Posted by: VeganDiva ()
Date: June 10, 2009 07:27PM

Hi

This is well timed as I was just about to ask about this myself as I'm jus getting into making puddings/pies. Plus, I've seen that Mmmveg has been using it for desserts and they look oh so so sooooo good.

Kate Magic's selling it in the UK, but I just wanted to ask how long it lasts for as it's quite expensive (for me).

Thanks so much,
Gill xx

Date: June 11, 2009 08:25AM

IMO not worth it..plenty of other methods for "firming things up"...without using it!

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: June 13, 2009 03:58PM

Thank you, Jennifer and Rawdanceruk.
However, at royalhimalayan, I pay 24$ shipping to Germany. Rawliving.uk takes "only" 6 GBP. Maybe I'll try and order some at rawliving.

Rawdanceruk, what other methods do you use to firm cakes etc. up?

When I use coconut butter, that does not work, it just does not get firm enough. And I do not want to freeze the cakes, just put them into the refrigerator. I have experimented with cacao butter lately, that works much better than with coconut butter, at least.

Helen

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: June 14, 2009 03:11PM

holy cr&*! thats a lot of shipping eh?
i'm sorry. i've tried a lot of thickeners and irish moss is the best (if you follow the soaking directions!)
also irish moss is a nutrient power house! i love it. great for respiratory support. also it lasts for a super long time too (in its dried state) i like to eat the leftover soaked moss (from a recipe) although it's a bit chewy! but i love that!

Date: June 15, 2009 02:08PM

its pricey for what it is

cacao butter

lectin

or you can add more dry ingredients. depends what it is really.

I have been using the butter lately..works well for firming things up

Posted by: cy ()
Date: June 22, 2009 12:52PM

I've heard that you can get irish moss on a latin/spanish store.

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:19AM

After mmmveg recommended Sweet Gratitude, which I bought, my search for the unusual ingredients started. I bought the irish moss but it is flaked and now I read in the book that whole moss is the best, the flaked gives a strong fish smell to the dessert! I think I 'll try soaking and blending the flakes and see how fishy it is before I go and buy more. I read that it is good for digestive issues, too.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:40AM

might want to try this place or at least phone them before ordering .. i buy the stuff off my friend who bakes alot and she gets it bulk from here [www.wifglobal.com]

not sure where you are located but generally if you can order a larger quanity like 20 lbs and try and resell it to someone locally or do a helluva lotta baking and resell your baked goods tongue sticking out smiley

i tried to order 20lbs direct and all included with shipping it works out to about 8.85$cdn dollars smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: SilviaClausin ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:47PM

You can get it from me if you like, I have a company in the UK and I would happily post it to you.

I have tried Irish moss from other places and it didn't work so I decided to find my own. Now I've got plenty, so if you'd like some I can sell it to you.

Contact me if you are still interested.

www.therawdeli.co.uk

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 05, 2011 07:08AM

all the ice cream companies probably hoard the stuff. the secret "navy." irish moss isn't farmed. (not that i know of) that's too bad because i wish i had a ton of it cheap. i tried a recipe by linda wooliever - her chocolate dream pie. Awesome!! ( a class attendance) and healthy omg i'm drooling. except i bought a bag of it off of ebay once (some irish moss) then lost it, so i didn't even get to try it out myself. i wish I had some. loot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables