Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Jicama
Posted by: westiemom ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:25AM

I bought my first jicama the other day and was wondering what are some of the favorite recipes or just general ways to eat this vegggie? I'm excited to try it, but have no idea how.

Tobie aka Westiemom

"Be careful, people in masks cannot be trusted." Fezzik - The Princess Bride

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jicama
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:52AM

not sure if you like tuna salad but this is a really close version of tuna salad and it has Jicama smiling smiley i like to make it oup once in awhile when you can find Jicama up here smiling smiley

Jicama Tuna
Submitted by adkhiker92 on June 2, 2008 - 6:39pmeasy fast jicama light lunch nut-free nut_free quick salad tuna from [www.goneraw.com]
Average:
Average: 5 (2 votes)
Servings: serves as many as you wish
I personally think that this mimicks the texture of tuna better than any other recipe. I love it so much that it’s my tuna replacement even when I’m not eating raw. Really, the only part of this that’s my own idea is grating the jicama, the rest is up to you. I like it on its own or on a slice of manna bread.

Ingredients:
4 parts jicama
1 part red onion
1 part celery
1 tablespoon raw mayo
1 teaspoon dulse flakes
1 pinch sea salt

Preparation:
Finely grate the jicama using the small holes on a grater or a microplane, depending on preference. Drain jicama by pressing through a fine mesh strainer. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Dice celery and onion and add to the jicama, along with your choice of raw mayo and dulse. Adjust seasonings to taste. Enjoy!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 02:52AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 16, 2009 01:58PM

westiemom,

I like jicama julienned and soaked for about 10-15 minutes in a combination of lemon, orange, and lime juice, a dash of Celtic salt, and a drop or two of raw agave. You can add cinnamon or cardamom powder, too. The jicama absorbs just a touch of this marinade and it ends up tasting very fresh and tropical. It's even better if you chill it while it's soaking--very refreshing!

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: July 17, 2009 03:26PM

The tuna sounds delish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables