Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sprouting necessary?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 20, 2009 08:42PM

is sprouting the grains for things like breads and tortillas necessary or can you simply soak them first?I don't like the taste of sprouts most of the time and would like to still have the pleasure of those foods even if I miss out on added nutrition from the sprouts. thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sprouting necessary?
Date: July 21, 2009 01:15AM

nobody knows???

Date: July 22, 2009 06:00PM

Sprouted food is very good the sprouted seeds contain vital nourishment needed by our bodies. It contains highest vitamins and minerals. If you are on diet it helps you in balancing your diet.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 22, 2009 08:29PM

jollyluise i dont doubt that sprouted is a bit better but if you dont like them sprouted then its really pointless to force something on yourself you dont like smiling smiley

sorry thats not much help to you lol ,, i use soaked seeds adn nuts and sprouted seeds and nuts it depends on the recipe really smiling smiley all i can suggest is as you may aquire a taste for them later. i used to really hate sprouts too but use all kind of sprouts now ..tastes do change the cleaner you get away from the sad diet smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 22, 2009 08:49PM

thanks..I found some info about how to soak the wheatberries or buckwheat with apple cider vinegar and water overnight to remove whatever it is that makes it hard to digest.I am going to try it tonight and make some pizza crusts tomorrow

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 22, 2009 08:55PM

this is a good site on the ins and outs and upside downs of sprouting smiling smiley [www.sproutpeople.com]

there is an protective enzyme inhibitor that nuts and i think some seeds have that keep them protected and dormant untill the right time to turn into new plants .. the enzyme inhibitor is what gives some people uncomfortable reactions to eating some seeds and nuts smiling smiley thats why you dont want to re-use the soaking water smiling smiley

let us know how the pizza crusts go ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 26, 2009 02:27AM

So I ended up with some nice pizza crusts/breads after all my research.I don't really stick to a recipe so here is a basic idea of how I made them
2 cups kamut soaked 10 hours in water with 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
after draining and rinsing I put it in my food processor with 2 tbs olive oil and enough water to get it moving.Added in basil,oregano,garlic,agave,and a pinch of sea salt.As it blends and you stop to scrape down the mixture you will see if you need to add a few extra drops of water or not.When you have a nice doughball ,transfer the mixture to your teflex sheets and shape into desired shape.Dehydrate about 8-10 hours total flipping halfway through the drying time.We ended up with 4-5in rounds perfect for the kids to make personal pizzas.As with any raw dish you can omit or add any seasonings you wish and it won't change the overall texture.Next I am going to make burger buns out of this with different seasonings for sunburgers.Or bread slices with minimal seasoning for the kids almond butter and banana sandwiches.They all tasted the dough right out of the processor and were amazed how much it tasted like real pizza dough.I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised as well.Enjoy!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables