Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eggless egg salad, recipe and pictures!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2009 09:27PM

wow, this one turned out so terrific! i always wanted to try making an egg salad with button mushrooms in place of the eggs but never had a good mayo recipe until now. the almonaisse on this site is great, tastes just like helman's mayo. it's the hardest part of the recipe and it's easy peasy, give it a try!

[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Almonnaise
----------
Adapted from the recipe in Marilyn Diamond's book "Fit For Life"

½ cup raw almonds
½ to ¾ cup water
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 or 2 garlic cloves, crushed
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp herbal seasoning (paprika, cumin, cayenne, tumeric, pepper, whatever you like)
1 to 1 ¼ cup oil (or 1/2 an avocado instead)
3 tbs lemon juice
½ tsp apple cider vinegar

Grind almonds in coffee grinder to a fine powder. Transfer almonds to blender and add half the water along with yeast, garlic, salt and seasoning. Blend well, then add remaining water to form smooth cream.

With blender on low, remove insert in top and drizzle in the oil in a thin stream until mixture is thick.

Keep blender running and add lemon juice and vinegar. Blend on low for one more minute, to allow mixture to thicken.

Refrigerate tightly sealed.

Herbed variation:
At the end of blending the almonnaise, add: 2 tsp minced chive or green onion, 2 tsp dried basil, some tarragon and dill and a handful of fresh parsley and cilantro. Yum!

Eggless Egg Salad
-----------------

-chop up some button mushrooms (you could experiment with other varieties but these have a texture that is very much like hard boiled egg and not very much mushroomy flavour)

add any combination of these:
-celery
-onion (I used red)
-red pepper
-pickle (I used ones that I fermented in The Perfect Pickler jar, very tasty and ALIVE!)

stir in some of the almonaisse and add dill, fresh or dried.

spoon this mixture over either a wrap or a romaine lettuce leaf and top with grated carrot and finely julienned spinach.

Totally delish. There's a spoonful of it at the bottom of the plate so you can see what it looks like not covered by a ton of veggies.

the baby likes it.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables