Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fermented veggie ideas?
Posted by: arie ()
Date: August 03, 2006 08:11PM

Howdy there. (^_^)
I've just started playing with fermenting vegetables, and I'm wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas for herbs or spices to use, or unusual vegetable combinations? So far, I've only done cabbage, carrots, celery, and cauliflower greens, with a little dulse.
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions!!

Arie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fermented veggie ideas?
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: August 04, 2006 02:44PM

The other day I made a big crock of:
1 red cabbage
a bunch of sea lettuce
3 carrots
2 beets
2 head's worth of broccoli florets
1 sweet potato
3 cloves garlic
miso
bit of store-bought live kimchi (to help with the culture)

It should be ready soon... it's hot here. smiling smiley

Posted by: arie ()
Date: August 06, 2006 10:47PM

Sounds GOOD, mallow (^_^)
I never thought of adding seaweed, or miso.
Does adding some already cultured veggies to a new batch help them to ferment more quickly??

Arie

Posted by: tummyANDyou ()
Date: August 14, 2006 07:25AM

arie (a rawy),

Thanks for the priority picture, very calming.

And no malice would've been taken by the challenge... as ferment means to boil, I was buoyant and not dumfounded how to go om denying one stove favorite I wasn't fully weaned of psychologically though principally. Now I feel all squeaky clean as I got my squash back. [no lesion but a smile comsequently.] I had a bias for kabocha before but each is t a s t y with this method.

Whichever your cleaver decision, sponge up don't just spoon out the seeds or at least the goo if the hulls are dull abnd bitter. Often the spaghetti type gets the spade and the butternut is number one for my seed consumption, buttery, with everything else in between.

The easiest is just to give these semi spheres a bowl. Slices are less messy later.

Think moisture and what would serve that in the skillet? Onions! SNap into potato chip sizes if you're fingering, fractioned more if you're not.

Bell peppers seeded, here, make you glad to pay the bill!

I'm a cauiliflower fellow too!

If unwashed, this has the organisms to wildly or spontaneously ferment.
Rosehips are a guarantee of the frothy otherwise. Organic is implied.

If you don't have a fruit of juice like grapefruit that is hacky sack soft in the game of thirst or coconut that has something to pour, then try as I have : mango put in an orange or yellow jewelry box look but is one for ladylike jaws.
It gave my spaghetti type a true creaminess. It is implied to peel the exotic soother -- even apples to get a cider effect but these just need exposure, they don't need to be stripped unless you're hungry for those chef rewards or work snacks. I use medium ripeness or I'm too tempted to tunnel through then, especially pears with an ocean to not shun..

avocado. Mouth watering!

Without immersion the squash skins won't be much on the meenu, but spaghetti can always be this back up bacause it's stays brittle on the outside for a long time anyway.

p.s. after the container is a slather of leftovers glaze that's hard for utensils, you can lick your fingers or put air-dried mushrooms on it. Let them redry sticky, enjoy!

Posted by: tummyANDyou ()
Date: August 14, 2006 08:01AM

p.s. I forgot zuchinni. The flesh with seeds turns into a slab of butter... the rind if diminutive or taints taste, I think, and texture doesn;t assist squash's softening. With that criteria, it's easier to meander through the produce aisles. Thus, baby cucumbers, whole!

Flax seed, just let it soak

Oregano herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables