Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrators
Posted by: ashleekanaan ()
Date: August 12, 2009 01:15AM

Hi all..
I am about to buy my first dehydrator..mainly for drying fruits and veggies...I have only investigated the excaliber..any other ones I should consider?
:-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrators
Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: August 12, 2009 05:53PM

I have the excaliber and am sorry I didn't get the biggest one I could get. Four trays are almost not enough.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 12, 2009 11:01PM

my votes the excalibur and get the big one , you can always not use all the trays , but you cant add any after the fact if you go smaller which means many more smaller batches of stuff smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 13, 2009 12:52PM

Is there an alternative method if you dont have a dehydrator? I'm thinking about making raw crackers from the pulp leftover from juicing, but don't feel the need to buy a dehydrator..I'm broke :/
(from Domi, on my mums account)

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 13, 2009 02:44PM

Some ovens have really low settings, but they take a lot more energy then a dehydrator.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 13, 2009 05:54PM

I've heard that you have to be careful not to let things go mouldy...any rules or tips about that?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 05, 2009 11:43PM

i'm still having problems, dehydrating stuff. i just tried to do potato chips, it came out all dark, can anyone help me please.
freda

Date: September 06, 2009 01:47AM

potatoes oxidize and turn when you cut them, there isn't any getting away from that unless you douse them in lemon juice and even then... Try sweet potato chips instead maybe.

Flipperjan, I emailed excalibur about food going bad (as per food safety regulations re temp control) and they had absolutely no solid info for me. Maybe you'll get a better answer from them if you ask directly. Let us know what you find out if anything.

Date: September 16, 2009 05:36PM

According to Gabriel Cousins He says to dehydrate them for the first 2 to 3 hours on 145, and then down to 110 degrees. To prevent food going bad in dehydrater.

Here is a link to making your own dehydrator! [www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 19, 2009 04:10AM

if you dissolve tablets of vitamin c (ascorbic acid) in water and soak the potatoes in that it stops them from discoloring smiling smiley 6 tablets to 1 gallon of water is what i was taught by my belated nana hehe smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 28, 2009 12:51AM

I'm very new to this, just starting out and I'm looking at the dehydrators. It seems like Excalibur is the recommended brand, but I saw a comment from someone that suggested getting a model with a timer and it doesn't appear the Excalibur has one? I saw a couple of other brands that had timers. Any thoughts on these?

Good4U brand
Sausage Maker

Any thoughts?

Date: September 28, 2009 03:13PM

I have had a four tray Excalibur since February and love it. My own opinion, but why whould you want a timer on a dehydrator? Look at a lot of the recipes that have the time from xx to yy. Sometimes it is as much as a six hour time span - depending on the humidity, liquidity of the material to be dried, etc. Using a dehydrator is in no way like using your oven. This summer I had a difference of about five hours in dehydrating the same item - due to the humidity in the air.

Dehydrators also make a nice "humming" noise, so you won't forget about it. Plus, it is a lot of fun to sneak a peek at what is "cooking" and with some things, like nuts, to just take a sample to see how it is doing! Yum!

NormaJean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables