Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My raw cookies are still not done in the dehydrator
Posted by: MARBLEFOX ()
Date: August 23, 2009 02:55PM

Hello Forum Family, I made some cashew, apricot raw cookies, placed on sheets and put in dehydrator last night around 7 pm at 105 degrees. The cookie recipies I've found that are similar all suggest 10 hours at 105. I am now up to 14 hours and they are still pretty soft to the touch. They are formed enough to pick up. But, the kind I guess that are made at the health food store, are heavier and pretty darn chewy. I shouldn't have asked them how long they leave theirs in. Any ideas suggestions? Thanks, Marblefox

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My raw cookies are still not done in the dehydrator
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:58PM

some dehydrators seem to have stronger fans than others , thus more air flow

have you been flipping them? i find flipping stuff often dries things faster

next try making them a little thinner as well to make up for you air flow

not sure whta else to suggest, at least you know next time that your delicious cookies will take a little longer smiling smiley

i sympathize with you, it sucks to want to try your creation and are forced to wait lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 03:58PM by Jgunn.

Date: August 23, 2009 04:47PM

Thank you so much. This is a brand new 4 tray Excalibur...My first foray into anything dehyrated. I stayed up til 3 in the morning to make sure it wouldn't burn down my house. Silly me! I took a wee taste, it is good just not quite done. Too right, I will make them thinner or smaller next time, OR simply start a day or two from when I want to EAT! Thanx again, MarbleFox

Date: August 24, 2009 12:50AM

Ok, so after like 15 hours they tasted good but were still on the very moist side, even though they were holding up as a cookie. I left the house and took them out of the dehydrator and put them in the fridge, and they didnt quite shape up so I put them back in the dehydrator... by 11 pm tonight they will be as done as their gonna get. How do I 'keep' them from spoiling? What kind of container would suite them and how long will they keep. I promise I'll do my homework next time around. TY MarbleFox

Date: August 24, 2009 04:08AM

you might also try adding less moist ingredient whichever was the culprit smiling smiley

id just store them in tupperware or a container in the fridge with parchment paper or something like that smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2009 10:56PM

Jodi, thank you for the advice. I have them in a tupperware thingy and they still taste good but are very moist/wet. Since they never really dehydrated properly how long will they be good? It will be a week on Sat/Sun. Thanks, Marble

Date: August 28, 2009 01:25AM

id eat them up right away, but as long as they dont have any funky smell they should be fine smiling smiley

excaliburs are great dehydrators so im not sure what went wrong?

what are the ingredients and mesurements you used ? smiling smiley

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: August 31, 2009 12:48AM

Yeah, it was probably just a little thicker than should have been. It's hard for a dehydrator to dehydrate all the moisture deep inside

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: September 06, 2009 08:30PM

Hi Raw Foods Thank you for your post... And Jodi thank you too for listening to me complain. I finally talked with the young lady at the health food store and she said they dehydrate their cooking for almost two days. There's the rub. Just not in there long enough. I am trying again today, same recipe will keep you approx. two days... Thanks Folks! Marble

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:28PM

Are you dehydrating on the paraflexx sheets?

As soon as you can, flip them off onto the screens. That helps them dry faster, too.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables