Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Re: Persimmons
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 09, 2009 12:33AM

Hi everyone,

In my effort to try new things, I picked up some persimmons (3 of them) at the store yesterday. Now I am counting on someone's expert advice to tell me how I prepare them to eat them. Never tried them before, want to, but know nothing about them. Thanks in advance! Deb smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 09, 2009 04:59AM

This site has persimmon pudding which is blending persimmon and banana: [www.applesforhealth.com]
You can use seeds from scraping the inside of a vanilla bean instead of using extract.

A site that has persimmon pie is www.raw-food-health.net/PersimmonPie.html It has nice colour photos.

Here's a drink:
[www.fromsadtoraw.com]

I don't know how the recipes are, though, because I never buy persimmons. If you find a good one, please let me know. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Date: November 09, 2009 12:38PM

Thanks Trive,

I think that I will try the pudding first because I can't seem to find young coconuts at the moment. I will let you know how these recipes taste as I try them. I look forward to trying persimmons cause I had never heard of them until I started raw. Its amazing how your mind opens up to change when you get off of the SAD diet. Thanks for your help. Have a great day!

Deb smiling smiley

Date: November 10, 2009 12:14AM

I tried to duplicate the pudding recipe tonight. I failed, but in a good way. I used
3 persimmons
2 bananas
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon

Blended in the vitamix until smooth, chilled and then served sprinkled with more cinnamon and topped with blueberries, yum! It was good!
I had it after a salad of
shredded green cabbage
shredded red kale
julienne carrots
julienne sweet potatoes / gave a sweetness that made it not need a dressing smiling smiley
grape tomatoes
sliced tomatoes

I really enjoyed my 99% completely raw dinner, I realize that the vanilla was not raw. Next time I will use the bean, just didn't have any. Thanks for all of your help Trive, dinner was a success and I didn't waste the persimmons!

Posted by: Nyaz ()
Date: November 11, 2009 01:03PM

I actually eat them like an apple. They are yummy that way! Although, they can be a little messy. But, they are just as good on their own as they are in a recipe.

"With life as short as a half taken breath, don't plant anything but love."- Rumi

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: January 19, 2010 05:42PM

Blend three or four persimmons with a bunch of spinach and some water for my favorite green smoothie.

Date: January 21, 2010 01:34PM

Hmm, I will have to try that combo, thanks for the tip.

smiling smiley Deb

Posted by: kaci ()
Date: February 02, 2010 01:14PM

Is there a trick to eating a persimmon?

I mean, I've always heard they pucker up your lips... ?...

.. not sure about this .. Just wondering.

Kaci

Posted by: greenlove ()
Date: February 02, 2010 09:52PM

try this spiced persimmon pie on this page, so yummy!

[www.rawglow.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 03, 2010 12:38AM

Kaci, If they're puckering, they haven't rippened. They are super sweet with a hint of pungency that makes it unique. The Roma tomato-looking ones have to be soft before eating. The beefsteak-looking ones can be eaten without waiting.

I love persimmons cut up and and I can eat 3-4 or more in one sitting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables