Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
PICTURES: Stuff I Ate
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: January 24, 2010 10:59PM

Cucumber Salad
I had something like this in a Thai restaurant. It was very good, so I tried to recreate it.

Salad:
- 1/2 large cucumber, sliced
- 1 center cut thin slice of onion
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- pinch of sesame seeds
- 1 inch wedge of red pepper, sliced

Dressing:
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil

Garnish:
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts

Combine salad ingredients on a plate. Garnish edges with sprouts. In a small bowl combine honey and sesame oil. Drizzle over salad. Enjoy!

Serves: 1
Nutrition Info: Nutrition Data

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PICTURES: Stuff I Ate
Date: January 24, 2010 11:47PM

I was tempted by the corn chip recipes I saw in this thread, and tried a variation. It's better with less sweet corn. And, if I did it again, I'd omit the jalapeno, but all in all, a pretty tasty snack.

Corn Chips with Salsa

Chips:
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tsp. flax seeds
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. water

Salsa:
- 1 tomato
- 1 slice red onion
- 1 inch slice of bell pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- pinch of salt (optional)

Remove kernels from corn cob. Combine corn kernels and other chip ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Spoon onto a solid drying sheet or baking-safe wax paper. Dehydrate overnight. Carefully peel chips off of sheet or paper.

Finely dice tomato, onion, and pepper. Finely chop cilantro. Combine all salsa ingredients in a small bowl and mix. Let stand overnight so that flavors meld.

Nutrition info: Nutrition Data

Date: January 25, 2010 12:00AM

Fruit Salad

Uninspired, but a colorful picture.

Salad:
- 1 nectarine
- 1 kiwi
- 20 black, seedless grapes
- 4 large strawberries

Dressing:
- 1 sweet lemon

Slice and combine nectarine, kiwi, and strawberries in a bowl. Add grapes. Squeeze sweet lemon over salad.

Nutrition info:Nutrition Data

Date: January 25, 2010 12:27AM

Beet Root Salad

This was not as tasty as I was hoping it would be, but I think it has potential if tweaked a bit. It's very nutritious, and I ate it and remembered to take a picture of it, so I"m posting it.

Salad:
- 1 golden beet
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple
- 1 slice red cabbage
- 1 slice red onion

Dressing:
- 1 tsp. miso
- 1 inch thick slice of peeled ginger
- 2 tbsp. water

Garnish:
- Romaine lettuce (optional)
- Raisins (optional)

Grate beet, carrot, and apple. Coarsely chop cabbage and finely chop onion. Combine salad ingredients in a bowl.

Dice ginger. Combine in a blender with miso and water. Blend until creamy. Pour over salad.

Tear lettuce into chunks and spread around the edges. Add raisins for a slightly sweeter salad.

Date: January 25, 2010 06:48PM

Avocado with Corn Relish

This one was delicious.

- 1 California avocado

Relish:

- 1 ear of corn
- 1 inch wide cut of red bell pepper
- 5 sprigs of parsley
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar

Cut avocado in half and remove pit and skin. Arrange on a plate as desired.

Use a knife to remove kernels from corn cob. Dice red pepper and finely chop parsley. Place corn, pepper, and parsley in a small bowl. Stir in two to three teaspoons of cider vinegar (to taste). Pour relish onto avocado.

Servings: 1

Date: January 25, 2010 09:13PM

Banana Chip Ice Cream

- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 brazil nuts
- 1 tsp. chocolate nibs
- 2 tsp. water

Prep: Soak nuts 3 - 4 hours or overnight. Freeze peeled and sliced banana for 3-4 hours or overnight.

Drain soaked nuts. Place all ingredients in blender and mix until desired consistency.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 25, 2010 09:37PM

beautiful pics and recipies smiling smiley yum!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 26, 2010 05:42PM

Thanks, Jodi.

Red Pepper Vinaigrette

This one was good, but thin. If you like a thicker dressing, you might try it with 2 tbsp. of vinegar and 2 tbsp. of water.

- 2 inch slice red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 sprigs parsley
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. white miso
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water

Combine ingredients in a blender and mix until liquid. Pour over the salad or dish of your choice.

Serves: 3

Date: January 27, 2010 07:23PM

Stuffed Tomato

- 4 med. tomatoes

Filling:
- 1/4 med. cauliflower
- 1 handful watercress
- 1/2 lemon, juiced

Finely chop watercress and place in med. bowl. Coarsely chop cauliflower and pulse in a food processor until approximately the size and texture of rice. Add cauliflower to watercress. Stir in lemon juice.

Slice off the tops of tomatoes. Carve out inside of tomatoes with a spoon or knife. Spoon filling into tomatoes.

Serves: 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 07:24PM by veghunter.

Date: January 31, 2010 11:40PM

Pesto Parsnips

Parsnips make a very good angel hair pasta, but this dish is very rich. You could probably add another 1/4 cup water and another parsnip and stretch it to serve three.

- 2 large parsnips

Sauce:
- 2 cups basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 oz. pine nuts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 dashes salt

Peel parsnips and use a spiraler to create thin cut noodles.

In a food processor or blender combine sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour sauce over parsnips.

Date: January 31, 2010 11:54PM

Stir Fry

This dish did nicely to satisfy a stir fry craving I was having.

Stir Fry:
- 1/4 head cauliflower
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 inch strip red pepper

Sauce:
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic

Coarsely chop cauliflower florets and place in blender. Pulse until a rice-like texture. Place cauliflower in bowl. Finely chop celery and pepper and add to cauliflower.

In a blender, combine sauce ingredients. Pour over cauliflower mixture.
In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients stirring with a spoon or fork. Pour over stir fry mixture.

Date: February 01, 2010 12:05AM

Spaghetti

Noodles:
- 2 med. zucchini

Sauce:
- 3 med. tomatoes
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1 sprig basil
- 1/2 clove garlic

Grate or spiral cut zucchini to desired thickness.

Peel tomatoes and place in blender. Remove basil leaves from stem and add to blender. Finely chop garlic and coarsely chop red pepper and add both to blender. Blend to desired thickness. I only blended it slightly, leaving chunks of pepper and tomato in the sauce, but you can blend it more for a smoother sauce. Pour sauce over zucchini noodles.

Date: February 01, 2010 06:57PM

Chickpea Soup

This one surprised me. For the first couple of spoonfuls I thought the soup was not good at all, but by halfway through I realized I really liked it and would gladly eat it again.

Soup:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sprouted chickpeas
- 2 tsp. white miso
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 clove garlic
- small handful alfalfa sprouts

Garnish:
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp. flax oil

Combine chickpeas, miso, garlic, alfalfa, lemon juice, and water in blender. Mix until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Finely slice green onion and sprinkle over soup. Drizzle with flax oil.

Date: February 01, 2010 07:45PM

Sauerkraut

- 1 med. cabbage
- 2 med. carrots
- 1 - 2 cups water

Quarter then slice head of cabbage into thin slices. Transfer to a large bowl, basin or crockpot - big enough to leave a couple of inches of room at the top. Clean and grate carrots. Add these to the cabbage and mix. Pour one cup of water over mixture.

Place a plate or board on the cabbage mixture, preferably one that covers as much surface area as possible. On top of this place a rock or heavy waterproof item to weight it down and help squeeze out the juices. I use a brick covered in a couple of layers of foil. Place in a cool, dark place. A refrigerator is ok, but it is not necessary, and will probably take longer to ferment. A cool cellar or other spot in the house (that isn't hot or in direct sunlight) will do.

After 24 - 48 hours check to see that enough juices have leeched from the cabbage to cover cabbage completely. If juice does not rise to the at least slightly seep over the edge of the plate or board, then add enough water to accomplish this. Keep checking the cabbage every few days for evaporation, spillover, sourness, and scum. Yes, scum. You can skim it off the top, but this is nothing to be concerned with as long as your kraut is all under water or juice.

The sauerkraut will be very lightly soured after about a week or so and can be eaten at this point. It will continue to sour and can be eaten at any stage for several weeks (months if stored just right). I usually like it after it has been fermenting for at least a couple of weeks.

An good explanation of an alternate method can be found here.

Serves: varies

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 02, 2010 11:39PM

that chickpea soup looks delicious smiling smiley i knwo what you meant tho about chickpeas ..sometimes their flavor in the first bite is ..meh but it really seems to grow on you bite after bite smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 03, 2010 07:49PM

Thanks, Jodi. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that happens to. smiling smiley

Date: February 03, 2010 08:00PM

Tomato Mango Soup

This combo sounded odd to me, but I've seen it recommended various places and decided to try it. It's a bit sweeter than I usually like soups, but not bad.

- 1 mango
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green onion

Combine tomatoes and peeled and pitted mango in blender. Mix until a smooth pudding texture. Garnish with green onion.

Date: February 03, 2010 08:20PM

Creamy Hummus

Dip:
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- 1 cup sprouted chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt

Place sesame seeds in high powered blender and mix on a medium low speed until a meal forms. You may need to stop the blender several times and scrape the seeds off the sides or bottom of the blender.

To the meal add chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, and half of water. Blend for 5 to 10 seconds until you get a gritty, gloppy mixture. You may need scrape the mixture off the sides a couple of times. Add a tablespoon or two of the remaining water and mix. If mixture is still not smooth, add the rest of the water.

The water makes it easier to mix the ingredients smoothly in the blender, however if you add too much you will get a runny sauce rather than a thick dip. So, the key is to add just enough water to facilitate mixing, no more.

Serves: 3 - 4

Date: February 03, 2010 09:27PM

Well, bugger. The nutrition data goes to the wrong link for the hummus. Here is the correct link: [www.nutritiondata.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2010 09:21PM

My mouth is watering! I am eagerly awaiting pt 2.

Date: February 17, 2010 08:50PM

Thanks, monkmonk.

Mushroom meatballs

This meal looked pretty good, but unfortunately the beans and gravy weren't so tasty. The mushroom meatballs were nice though.

Meatballs:

- 1/2 (1/2 package) baby bella mushrooms
- 1 slice onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. miso
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. sesame oil

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Mix on low speed until a lumpy paste forms. Scoop out paste and form into balls. Dehydrate for 3 or 4 hours to remove excess liquid and set meatballs slightly.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2010 03:10PM

geez veghunter

stunningsmiling smiley!

beautiful photos too

just curious though

what is the white thing that looks kind of pretty like snow?

on the plate that has the green beans?

and mushrooms?

Date: February 19, 2010 04:48PM

Thanks, la_veronique. The white stuff was a gravy. It was not very tasty, so I didn't save the recipe. All I can remember is it had onions and celery, and something that made it kind of gritty. I can't remember what though.

Posted by: joy_peace ()
Date: March 01, 2010 01:45AM

Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing!

Date: March 01, 2010 07:28PM

Thanks, joy_peace.

Applesauce

- 3 apples (I like Fuji, but use what you like)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp. raw honey or agave syrup
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Peel, core, and coarsely chop apples. Place in blender along with 1/2 lemon juice, 1.5 tsp. honey, and 1.5 tsp. olive oil. Blend until smooth (for 20 or 30 seconds). Scoop out applesauce and repeat steps from beginning. Enjoy as is or pour over fruit - I used blueberries in the picture.

Date: March 03, 2010 11:07PM

Green Caesar

This was rich, but tasty. It's a bit like a cross between a Green Goddess and Caesar dressing.

- 1/3 cup macadamias
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt

Soak macadamia nuts overnight in 2/3 cup water. Add macadamia nuts and soaking water to blender along with olive oil, garlic, and salt. Blend until creamy. Finely chop parsley and stir into dressing by hand.

Serves: 4

Date: March 07, 2010 01:24AM

very nice pics, they even gave me some other ideas. Keep up the good work j

Date: March 08, 2010 05:44PM

Thanks, Julee. I'm glad it helped. smiling smiley

Strawberry Spinach Salad
Yummy!

Salad:
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 3 large strawberries
- 3 medjool dates
- 2 tsp. pine nuts

Dressing:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. raw, whole honey
- 1 lime, juiced

Wash and plate baby spinach. Slice strawberries and dates and place atop spinach. Sprinkle on pine nuts.

Combine olive oil, honey, and lime juice in a blender and mix until well combined. Pour dressing over Salad. Enjoy!

Date: March 09, 2010 10:09PM

Chocolate Mousse

This was much richer and had a deeper chocolate flavor than I was expecting. If I tried it again, I'd use raw cocoa powder (which I didn't have) instead of the nibs. The texture wound up slightly gritty because it was hard to get a really fine grind on those. Other than that, very decadent dish.

- 1 ripe California avocado
- 4 medjool dates
- 2 tsp. raw agave syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 oz. (1/3 cup) raw cocoa nibs

Add cocoa nibs to a high speed blender and mix into fine powder. You may have to turn it off several times, scrape off the sides and let the powder cool so you don't melt the chocolate.

To the cocoa powder add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until mousse texture. Because the mousse is thick, this will take several bursts of mixing for only a few seconds each time.

Garnish with strawberries, raspberries, or mint leaves.

Serves: 2 - 3

Date: March 23, 2010 07:27PM

I loved the zucchini spaghetti! I will be trying the banana ice cream and strawberry salad this week. I want to do the corn chips and salsa but that will have to wait until I get my dehydrator. Please continue to post photos and recipes for people like me who are not as creative with food.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables