Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: PICTURES: Stuff I Ate
Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: March 23, 2010 10:27PM

veghunter, these are very nice pictures and recipies. I love eating good food too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 24, 2010 12:27PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so glad that you liked one of the recipes and that pictures and recipes are useful to others. I started this thread to motivate myself to keep trying new dishes, but reading that others are getting something out of it is a big bonus.

I do plan on posting more, I've just got a full schedule for the next few weeks, I think after that things will settle and I'll be able to post more dishes.

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: March 24, 2010 01:50PM

everything looks so dang good! i love your photos!
truly lovely..thanks for sharing!

jennifer

Date: April 02, 2010 04:54PM

Thanks, mmmveg. Love your screen name.smiling smiley

I haven’t posting juices and smoothies, but then I thought why not? I consume these as meals and so do others eating raw. So, I’ll start with one of my favorites:

Adding the carrot to the orange juice gives it a really rich flavor and full bodied consistency. It also helps cut the acid feeling that drinking large quantities of plain orange juice can sometimes cause.

Orange Carrot Juice

- 8 med. Carrots
- 4 med. Oranges (I usually use navels)

Peel oranges and carrots and run them through your juicer. Juice quantities will vary, but it usually makes about a liter for me.

Tip: You can store juice for 2 – 3 days in the refrigerator. Placing a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the juice to block out the air can help slow down oxidation.

Serves: 1 -2
Nutrition Info: Nutrition Data

Date: April 02, 2010 05:17PM

One of the good things about this salad is it’s so juicy that it does not require a dressing.

Citrus Salad

Salad:
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 oranges
- 4 cups arugula, arugula mix*, or baby spinach
- 2 thin slices red onion

Garnish: (optional)
- pinch of poppy seeds

Pile greens into one or two serving dishes. Cut thin onion slices into bite-size pieces and mix into greens. Peel and segment oranges and grapefruit directly over greens squeezing the membrane when you're done to get all the good juices out. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.

*I usually use plain arugula, but the arugula didn’t look great at the store that day, so I got the mix instead which included frisee and radicchio.

Serves: 1-2

Date: April 03, 2010 12:01AM

This is my favorite green juice. Lettuce is a great starter veg for juicing because it's readily available, mild in flavor, and familiar even to those who don't eat many vegetables.

Celery Lettuce Juice

- 1 celery bunch
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce

Wash and pass through the juicer. Makes about 1 liter of juice with my juicer.

Serves: 1 -2

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 28, 2010 07:37AM

hi veghunter

i love your thread and photos
a lot
i am going to try your tomato spaghetti

i should get a spiralizer
then again
maybe just cut the zucchini real thin
i can do thatsmiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 01, 2010 08:49AM

' i made tomato and spaghetti

it was good
just grated the zucchini through the mandolin

i also made the choco mousse
but wthout the dates

yummy
thanks for posting!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 01, 2010 10:52PM

I love that pic of the carrot/orange juice combo! I'm gonna try it ASAP, although orange season appears to be over with. Oh well, I am sure I can find oranges all year 'round.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 02, 2010 04:25AM

I LOVE carrot and orange smoothies, I like to add a banana sometimes too...

Date: June 22, 2010 05:37PM

La_veronique, thank you! I'm glad you liked the dishes you tried. I do have a spiralizer, but I used a vegetable peeler for the pictured zucchini. It works fine for a thicker cut, which I like sometimes.

Banana who, I miss oranges this time of year, too. Trying to eat seasonally can really make you appreciate some foods again. Despite all the goodies available in the summer and fall, I usually can't wait for the winter orange season to start.

Curator, do you have a secret to getting the carrot smooth? Maybe juicing the carrot first and then adding to the orange in the blender?

Sorry, I haven't posted in a bit. My dog ate the cable that connects my camera to the computer. I ordered a new cable and it doesn't work quite right, it lets me view the pics on my computer, but crashes my computer when I try to download the pics. I guess that's why I don't usually leave my laptop on the coffee table. confused smiley

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 24, 2010 03:44AM

Great thread. That tomato mango soup is just crying out for some spice...lol...lots of great ideas here.

Date: June 24, 2010 04:32AM

Veghunter, my secret is I sharpen my blender blades, as Ive been making even more smoothies lately, Ive been doing it about once a month, id probably have to do it more often if I was using ice in it...I don't have a juicer, yet!!!

Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:51AM

Wow I am gonna try some of these.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 12, 2010 03:57PM

Ooh, beautiful pics, veghunter! The color of that carrot-orange juice is just stunning. smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 13, 2010 08:24AM

yeaaahgrinning smiley you should see it when you juice carrots and beets togethergrinning smiley its like a beautiful sunset in a cup!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 15, 2010 09:32AM

I tried the chickpea soup. It was alright, tasted a little too watery, so I added a little more miso and even more alfalfa sprouts to make it a little more chunky. I'm going to try the banana ice cream tomorrow, then the spaghetti next day.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:14PM

Thanks, Swayze. The orange carrot combo is as tasty as it is colorful.

I'm sorry the soup was too watery for you, Punkrotten. I can imagine that might be so. I don't like puddings and custards, so I tend to water things down a bit more than may appeal to some people.

I seem to have a working transfer cable again. So, here we go...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 02:15PM by veghunter.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:25PM

Tasty salad. Not nearly as spicy as I thought it might be.

Asian Style Mango Salad

-4 green mangos
-small handful cilantro
-1/2 small jicama
-1 lime
-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
-1 pinch salt
-1 pinch black pepper (optional)

Peel and slice mangos into a medium size bowl. Try to make the pieces as evenly sized as possible. Coarsely chop cilantro and add to bowl. Peel and cut jicama into matchsticks. Squeeze the juice of one lime into bowl. Add peppers and salt. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed. Enjoy!

Serves: 2
Nutrition info: Nutrition Data

Date: August 21, 2010 02:58PM

Oops, sorry, Nubster. I missed your post. The tomato mango soup is actually pretty flavorful. It's just more like a pudding than a soup. Experimenting with food can be quite fun. If you get a good combo, I'd love to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 02:58PM by veghunter.

Date: August 21, 2010 03:19PM

This is just a basic coleslaw recipe. My mayonnaise was raw, but not vegan, so I omitted the recipe for it. There are many recipes for raw vegannaise out there if you're interested.

Coleslaw

-1/8 head medium red cabbage
-1/8 head medium green or white cabbage
-1 large carrot
-1 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
-1 lemon
-1 1/2 tbsp. mayonnaise
-2 pinches of salt
-pinch of black pepper

Grate cabbages and carrot and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add a pinch of salt and one half of lemon juiced. Mix and let macerate while making mayonnaise.

In a separate container mix mayonaise, other half of juiced lemon, dill, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over grated cabbage mixture.

Date: August 21, 2010 05:47PM

I started out trying Curator's recipe for South American Slaw, but had so many other goodies in the house, I couldn't resist adding more.

Confetti Slaw

- 1/8 red medium cabbage
- 1/8 green medium cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 1 green mango
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp. agave syrup
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper

Grate red and green cabbages as well as carrot. Add to a medium-sized bowl. Peel and slice mango and add to cabbage mixture. Slice red pepper and add to cabbage mixture. Coarsely chop cilantro and add to bowl. Drizzle agave syrup and lime juice over cabbage mixture. Sprinkle on pinch of salt and pepper. Mix.

Date: August 21, 2010 05:58PM

This is my favorite smoothie! It's such a treat. The lime (much more than lemon) somehow makes the avocado seem less fatty and heavy to me.

Avocado Lime Smoothie

- 1 California avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 medjool dates
- 2 cups water

Peel avocado and remove pit. Add to blender along with lime juice, pitted medjool dates, and water. Blend on medium speed until smooth.

Serves: 1

Date: August 21, 2010 06:34PM

I hadn't used parsley as a base for a salad before. I quite liked it.

Parsley Corn Salad

Salad:
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 12 black olives, sliced

Dressing:
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt

Wash and coarsely chop parsley. Place in a medium-sized bowl. Remove kernels from corn and add to parsley. Cut tomatoes in half and add to bowl. Add sliced olives to mixture.

In a small bowl combine vinegars, oil, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Pour over salad.

Serves: 1

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 21, 2010 07:17PM

Beautiful pictures, veghunter. So colourful! Appreciate that you included the recipes too. Thanks for posting.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2010 08:35PM

That crazy rainbow slaw is such a looker! I'll have to make that for relatives sometime, it's nearly irresistably gorgeous! Without the agave for me though, maybe some maple syrup or soaked dates...

Date: August 22, 2010 08:26PM

Thanks, Trive. I keep meaning to try some of your suggestions from your very nice wrap filling list, but every time I pull out the lettuce I end up with a salad. I'll get there one day!

Coco, if you have a sweet green cabbage, you don't need any kind of sweetner at all for the confetti salad. I got my cabbage from a different supplier and this variety tasted like mild horse radish! It was quite spicy and slightly bitter. It was very fresh, so I guess it was just a different variety than I'm used to.

Date: August 22, 2010 08:45PM

I've read that this is a classic way to eat jicama in Mexico and Central and South America. I'm not sure I'd make this again, but it was an interesting flavor mix and fun to try. It's more of an appetizer or snack food than entree.

Spicy Jicama Sticks

- 1 med. jicama
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder

Peel and slice jicama into matchsticks and place in bowl. Squeeze the juice of two limes over sticks. Sprinkle on chili powder. Toss mixture in bowl. Arrange on a platter to serve.

Serves: varies

Date: August 22, 2010 09:00PM

The chickpea soup isn't bad. I already made it twice. The banana ice cream is good and I also liked the Spaghetti. The parsley salad looks great gonna try that one. Thanks

Date: August 22, 2010 09:01PM

This is a just a classic Waldorf salad without the mayonnaise.

Waldorf Salad

- 2 sweet apples
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 lemons

Core and dice apples. Chop celery. Combine apples, celery, raisins and walnuts in a medium-sized bowl. Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons over the mixture. Stir and let sit for 15 to 30 min. to macerate the apples. Stir again and serve.

Serves: 1 - 2

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables