Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

blended salad? recipe? eat next day? how much alvacado too much?
Posted by: serenad ()
Date: January 28, 2010 11:15PM

Hello,

I just made my first blended salad and am very excited as it tasted pretty good. I used 2 alvocado's, half cucumber, about 7 peices of redleaf lettuce, half of a limes juice.

I ate half of it and was wondering if I could save the other half for tomorrow? I was also wondering if I made it in the morning's if I could bring it to work and have for lunch? I was not sure how soon after you should eat it.

I was also wondering how much alvacado in one day might be too much?

Lastly I was wondering if anyone had any othe recipe's that taste good for a blended salad?

Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blended salad? recipe? eat next day? how much alvacado too much?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 29, 2010 03:28AM

The sooner you drink your blended beverages, the better, but you can't always finish them up as soon as they're ready. I bring blended smoothies to work all the time. The risk with keeping your blended concoctions around is that they will oxidize over time. You may notice that the surface of your blended salad may start to turn a little browner after several hours. One of my strategies for minimizing oxidation is to add a little extra liquid if I'm planning on storing it a while. Blenders can mix a lot of air into whatever you're making, an that air can slowly oxidize throughout - not just on top. With a more watery smoothie I find that less air stays mixed in, so oxidation is lessened. A little citrus, especially lemon or lime can slightly slow the oxidation process too.

As to how much avocado is too much, there are differing theories on that point. Many people new to raw foods find that larger amounts of healthy raw fats, as in avocados, can be a huge aid to the process of transitioning, and many report losing weight even while consuming large amounts of fat. Over time, most raw foodists will tend to gravitate toward more moderate quantities, and there isn't any universal rule. Many raw foodists subscribe to the 80/10/10 rule which suggests that 80% of your calories should be from carbohydrates, 10% from protein, and 10% from fat. This is an extremely small proportion of fat, and though the philosophy has many strong proponents a great many raw foodists don't follow 80/10/10. At first, it's probably best to experiment for yourself and see what proportions give you the best results.

Re: blended salad? recipe? eat next day? how much alvacado too much?
Posted by: serenad ()
Date: January 29, 2010 01:10PM

Thanks so much! I am very excited to make another blended salad today. I put 2 alvacodo's in it yesterday and was not sure if that was going to be too much. I like the creamy taste of it though. I have been slipping and eating some bad foods lately so trying to get back to 90% raw. I really think this is going to help me. Thanks so much for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables