Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

any recipes for chickpeas, or anything for that matter
Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 15, 2006 08:27PM

My second batch of sprouts which are chickpeas will be ready tomorrow and I wonder if anyone has any good recipe ideas.

Also, as I'm new to this, any other recipes would be gratefully received.

thanks
Dawn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: any recipes for chickpeas, or anything for that matter
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 15, 2006 09:43PM

Personally, I prefer fresh chickpeas to sprouted. The fresh ones in the there shells are by far the best I've tasted. The sprouted ones seem to be a little bitter/starchy.

You can make hummas with them. Also you could make a chana masala.
I posted a Chana Masala recipe to this thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

I bet they could be made into falafel as well.

Some people have recommend blanching the sprouted chickpeas for a minute in hot water to make them taste better, although I've not tried this (something about it seems not raw).

Good luck,
Ian.

Date: August 16, 2006 09:47PM

THank you for that Ian. I got some tahini paste and made hummus.

But how can you eat them raw but not sprouted? Do you mean soaked for 12 or 24 hours? Will this do then?

Dawn

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 16, 2006 11:06PM

When I have fresh beans, I just eat them without sprouting them. They are really quite soft and sweet (and green) straight from the shell. This is pretty much the only way I can eat chickpeas, I don't like the taste of sprouted dry beans.

How did the hummus turn out?

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: August 17, 2006 01:54PM

Hi

They sound nice fresh, if I could get them.

The hummus was OK and there's more for tonight. I think I put too much garlic in though.

I tend to cook a lentil dish and then put lots of salads and bits on the table. I eat just the raw and my 2 small children have the lentils and take what they want of salad. They didn't want any hummus yesterday, but I was pleasantly surprised that my 4 year old now likes raw spinach, and kept wanting more and more. I don't think he likes it cooked.

Dawn

Date: August 18, 2006 06:44PM

Hi Dawn,

Last winter I was sprouting chickpeas and made crackers out of them. I ground them with flaxseed and put some other stuff like herbs or garlic (and a little water of course) to make a nice cracker dough. This tastes really good. I also made hummus but found it has a bitter taste in the end. Although experimenting with adding dates for example to make the taste 'softer' helped.

I am curious about the fresh chickpeas and wonder where I could find them. Never seen them.

Good luck!

Sabine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables