Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can you get a dry-roasted flavor for your nuts and seeds by dehydrating them?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 09, 2010 12:40AM

I wasn't sure if perhaps it just dries them or not. I really like the taste of nuts and seeds when they have been toasted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you get a dry-roasted flavor for your nuts and seeds by dehydrating them?
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 18, 2010 10:52PM

Nuts taste really good if you soak them overnight in water with seasoning, like soy sauce, and then sprinkle with garlic and/or onion powder and dehydrate.

Re: Can you get a dry-roasted flavor for your nuts and seeds by dehydrating them?
Date: February 19, 2010 03:42AM

Thanks, Pakd4fun, I am looking for a reason to justify buying a dehydrator. I don't know if I'd be making flax crackers all that often...I would make gRAWnola, though. And seasoned nuts, if they had a bit of a roasted flavor to them.

Posted by: joy_peace ()
Date: March 01, 2010 01:48AM

Get a dehydrator. You will use it eating/living raw. That or the sun to dry your foods.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 02, 2010 02:59PM

I wondered the same thing in the beginning, and i'll tell ya, soaking and dehydrating nuts makes em sometimes BETTER tasting than roasting. for instance almonds, get lighter, and crunchier than raw. i dislike raw almonds chewy hard texture and flavor. but soaked, and dried, YUM!!!
an interesting one i don't soak, but tastes awesome raw is brazil nuts. Cooked they go rancid quickly. but raw, they tastes awesome like chicken or something. I never knew because the only time i used to eat brazil nuts was in those nasty roasted mixed nut can things.
HANDS DOWN the winner of the flavor contest by soaking and drying is the pecan !!!! raw they taste good, but once you soak them and dry em, it brings out the cooked like flavor, it is the flavor of pecan we all know from southern style candies. seriously its SOOOO DANK !!! these are exquisite to squeeze 2 of them into a date. I've heard people talk about that, "put a pecan into a date,YUM" but i tried it finally, with soaked and dried pecans, and wow, it really tastes JUST like pecan praline caramel.

anyway, yes, the dehydrator is crucial. I just bought my mom one that has a thermostat, just an entry level one, it was only like 130 for a 10 tray !!!! Mine is this big ol stainless steel mini oven lookin' thing. I love it, but i hardly ever fill it all the way, so i don't like turning it on unless i have a couple things to dry, so as to rationalize the use of the electricity.

get the dehydrator, its like eating cooked food and not owning an oven, its the raw foods oven!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 02, 2010 04:53PM

To keep raw nuts from spoiling, I keep smaller quantities and store them in my fridge.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: March 02, 2010 08:18PM

Rawlion: Cewl! You really went indepth with that answer! Mind telling me the name of that dehydrator? I keep hearing about the Excalibur and it's about $200 for a 9-tray...

I am glad you brought up the flavor change by drying because I do find that roasting nuts brings out a wonderful flavor, yet I also know that the high temp changes the nutritional value, yada yada...And what I also am looking forward to is "baking" without worrying about burning. Even at a temp of 150 or 200 degrees, I have made granola and it got too brown and the flavor was a bit burnt. With a dehydrator, there are no worriessmiling smiley

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 03, 2010 01:36AM

ok, i just went on amazon, and the brand i got my mom was weston, it was a ten tray, with adjustable thermostat. I just saw a cool one , looks just the same, TSM brand 10 tray adjustable thermostat etc. SO they have some cool entry level dehydrators now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables