Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Amazing experience making raw applesaucesmiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2010 02:41AM

So I had gotten a sweet deal on organic Red Delicious apples. Tried to juice them but the pulp was collection on the screen (peel going into other container). Very little juice. However, when I tasted the pulp, it was totally like applesauce! I added some organic ground cinnamon and it was the total bomb! Gonna make more later!

*I always thought that apple season was in the fall. I wonder if these Washington apples were from then or do you think they grow them continuously? I also wonder if they are juiceable. I think these were a bit mealy, which is why they were great for applesauce, but I think these are eating apples mainly and not juice apples...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 02:44AM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amazing experience making raw applesaucesmiling smiley
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 09, 2010 03:25AM

Congratulations on your experiment! It's so much fun when those work out.

Apple season is in the fall, but there are several types that can be kept for months if stored properly. Yours were probably from last fall.

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 09, 2010 04:43AM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think these were a bit mealy

I find that usually to be the case with Red Delicious, I usually avoid them. Ironic name smiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 09, 2010 11:21AM

Those Washington organic delicious are always on the shelf here right up till next harvest. They can get a little dicy after stored for a year so I think it's a good idea to halve them to check the core. I planted two red delicious trees and am excited they are just beginning to produce, and plop them into the juicer big time. They're just really nice apples to me.

Date: March 09, 2010 07:40PM

Veghunter: Yeah, I think you are right about that. I loved it so much (my boyfriend wanted more, too!) so I made some more applesauce and the second batch tasted not as amazing. The apples were probably not too fresh. But still...it's a rush to find something that really tastes like the original! And I cannot wait until the REAL apple season with honeycrisps....

Date: March 09, 2010 07:43PM

Rawpreston: LOL! Me, too. I am not feeling them very much, although I managed to get a good one recently and then I understood that they can actually be delicious if they are FRESH. And I don't know if you are aware of this, but supposedly they are the most nutricious apples, in terms of antioxidant activity. It seems that the peel is the reason (maybe its dark color?)...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables