Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Jam Recipe
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 08, 2010 08:27PM

Hi to all, I'm trying to come up with a raw jam recipe but I need it to last for a long period of time (doesn't spoil to quickly) because I plan on selling them in stores can someone help me out please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Jam Recipe
Date: April 09, 2010 04:51PM

I think this may not be possible, it will surely spoil within a few weeks even if kept refrigerated. You could try some fruit puree partially dehydrated to make it thick but again, it will only keep for a short period of time. Such is the nature of fresh food!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 09, 2010 05:19PM

One of the main reasons open jam jars can be kept open in the fridge for ridiculously long times is that the added sugar operates as a preservative. (Think of how long sugar will last at room temperature if you keep it away from the ants.) You may be able to increase the life span of the jam by increasing the sugar content, maybe by mixing in a blended date slurry.

As Coco suggested, it won't have the same staying power of standard jam. If you hope to sell these, I would suggest making several batches and keeping them to the point of spoilage. Label each batch with the exact recipe and proportions used, because that will be significant. Get a good idea of which recipes last longer and how long they be reliably expected to last. Prominently label the for-sale jars with best-by dates, and be conservative. People will be angry if their food spoils before the given date. Keep in mind that many people keep their fridges too warm and their results may not be as good as yours. If possible, you may want to do all your testing in a warmer-than-ideal fridge. A small dorm fridge might be ideal.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 09, 2010 05:22PM

P.S. Another reason standard jam lasts longer is because the canning process sterilizes the batch. You won't be able to sterilize, but you should use fruit that is as fresh as possible and wash it well to avoid getting any more mold spores into your jam than you can avoid.

Date: April 12, 2010 01:28AM

RAW is relatively new to me, but have you considered a freezer jam? I bet it wouldn't be difficult to adjust the recipe to actually be raw...at least not for someone with more experience than myself.

Date: April 12, 2010 03:28PM

?wild fermented jam, then refrigerate?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 09, 2010 09:51AM

Freezer jam seems the only viable way... people can buy it i nthe freezer section, have maybe a box with multiple smaller than usual compostable containers of jam in it, so they only take one out of the freezer at a time, enough for maybe a week, and each container should last you a couple weeks in the fridge... its doable, but the costs would be pretty high.

Sugar preserves, but if there is any bacteria present then you are looking at a bacteria heaven... they will eat the sugar and other organic matter, and your jam would not only rot, but become potentially deadly...I would not suggest selling a raw jam that counts on the preservative power of sugar, unless you also have a high acid content in your jam, but it still can be dangerous if it isnt freezer jam...

Date: June 07, 2010 11:54AM

I am not well versed on all of the raw tricks yet but could you seal this in a seal a meal bag to keep it longer in the fridge?

Carrie

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 07, 2010 04:06PM

Actually, as for regular preserves, I have found that I must keep it in the fridge; especially in warm weather. Otherwise, it gets all fermenty and/or moldy. How about using psyllium with a raw fruit puree to gel it up and then keeping it in the fridge? Just curious, also: what would you do with a raw jelly anyway? Put it on dehydrated bread or crackers?

Date: June 07, 2010 05:30PM

even in the fridge I cant see raw jelly lasting for more than a week, about as long as the raw fruit would last in their on average...to much bacteria and mold spores on the average fruits, especially berries, I think, ti safely make a raw jelly or jam that would last for very long...I could be wrong though...

Date: June 14, 2010 04:39PM

My friend just gave us a huge mason jar of freezer jam, it's made of fresh organic strawberries, pectin and sugar (it's very, very sweet, way too sweet for me but the kids love it of course). It will last in the fridge for a long time but that may be because the sugar acts as a preservative.
I think irish moss and fruit puree or juice would set well but it would still have to stay cold.

Date: June 14, 2010 05:29PM

yeah, I looooove freezer jam, Idont eat it anymore either cause of the high sugar...:/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables