Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I miss beans and rice...HELP!!!
Posted by: LindaLB ()
Date: April 29, 2010 03:57PM

OK, so you can sprout some beans, but the taste is not the same. I will eat a cooked bean or two.

But I really miss rice.

I am trying to sprout some right now. But last night, I ate some of the germinated rice, and received quite a stomachache for my trouble.

Is there a right way to eat rice raw? Do we have to give up rice? If you eat raw rice and have a good experience with it, please share for this rice-dysfunctional person! Thanks winking smiley

Re: I miss beans and rice...HELP!!!
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 29, 2010 07:39PM

I'd be curious to try fresh rice before it is dried. Alas, I doubt I ever will.

For a while I tried finely chopped cauliflower as a rice substitute (but don't really like it). I think I saw that finely chopped parsnips used as "rice" in a raw recipe.

Sorry, I don't know an answer for you.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 05, 2010 12:55AM

raw jicama is used in 'sushi' rolls.
i bought raw nori wraps and jicama today.

if it turns out well, i'll let you know-

i've soaked rice for a very long time, making what seemed like poisonous alcoholic mixes sometimes, all without accomplishing sprouting, or anything close to edible.

wild rice can be soaked and made edible, but brown rice resists my efforts.

i've settled for making sourdough brown rice, and cooking it- i have 3 kids and flatbreads from soaked and fermented rice is something i can do right now and is hugely popular.

peace-

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 05, 2010 02:08AM

just fyi Wild rice is not raw, it's steamed as part of it's harvesting.

You can sprout some grains like quinoa and kamut as well as lentils which are all very tasty. Not the same as cooked, of course, but good in a different way.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 05, 2010 01:17PM

quinoa is the bomb. if you need a raw grain, i think that's the way to go! thanks coco.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 05, 2010 05:58PM

ditto for what Mama Cass said, plus buckwheat, millet and amaranth. In addition to not being true grains (plant seed rather than grass seed), they are low in gluten and are less acidifying to the body than wheat.

Paul

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 09, 2010 09:26AM

has anyone considered chemical cooking for rice or beans? cooking with acids such as lime juice or pineapple juice? its supposed to have the same effect on many foods as cooking can have, yet without damaging the nutrients within them... maybe if you use leave rice or beans in an some sort of acid long enough they will work?... wait...I feel a bad pun coming on... Limey beans anyone?lol...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 22, 2010 10:39PM

@Paul: Actually they are all gluten-free, which is even bettersmiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 01, 2010 08:44AM

for rice
i put some cauliflower in a food processor
and it looks just like rice
i made raw nori with them a few times
and it was good
you can also season it with scallions, olive oil, sea salt

for beans
u can grind nuts
then you can season them with mexican seasoning
they look and taste like refried beans

curator

never tried the chemical treating of rice via acids of citrus
interesting idea

i never was however
interested in the raw rice thing
i did soak some grain rice a few times
but didnt hold my interest for long

Date: June 14, 2010 04:28AM

Still working on it. I got some brown rice to sprout. Unfortunately it started to go bad before the sprouts got as long as I wanted.

Back to the drawing board.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 14, 2010 05:56PM

LindaLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still working on it. I got some brown rice to
> sprout. Unfortunately it started to go bad before
> the sprouts got as long as I wanted.
>
> Back to the drawing board.

I don't know the method you used for sprouting. If you go to Youtube, Rawradianthealth has a recent video about sprouting buckwheat. Natasha used a strainer method, which allows air to circulate. I always have used jars, so it's pretty intriguing and may be the solution for stuff which has a tendency to spoil. I have never been able to grow broccoli sprouts, LOL. The seeds were very expensive (I probably could have just bought a packet of seeds, right?) and they spoiled right away. Supposedly, you are supposed to rinse them with citric acid but I could never quite figure out how to do it correctly.

Date: July 07, 2010 06:00AM

Well...I got a bigger sprouting jar so I am trying it again. Will report back!

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: July 07, 2010 12:50PM

Have you tried upping your sweet fruit intake? I have no cravings for complex carbohydrates like rice when I'm eating enough calories from fruit. smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: July 08, 2010 08:21AM

Shelled hemp seeds add a bit of extra bite to salads. Not quite rice, but has a similar nutty texture. Maybe you could mix hemp seeds and sprouted peas/beans into a salad made from olive/herb dressed veggies like red peppers, tomatoes and cucumber?

I am hopeless at sprouting amaranth sad smiley It always goes pink and funny.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 08, 2010 08:02PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Paul: Actually they are all gluten-free, which is
> even bettersmiling smiley

for the record, Banana who is correct. [www.csaceliacs.org] Outstanding, BW. smiling smiley I do believe I will go celebrate with some low sugar fare. Linda, in my opinion, high sweet fruit is not the way to go. Please PM me if you want to know more.

Paul

Date: July 11, 2010 01:38AM

Nahhh...fruit is just not the same as rice.

Using the larger jar I have succeeded in getting the brown rice to sprout. But it is difficult to keep it from spoiling. very hot and humid here.

The tails are about 0.75 cm now and I am afraid to keep it sprouting longer. I ate some tonight and put the rest in the fridge. It seems to be OK, so I tried eating it.

Sprouted rice grains are still pretty firm. They have an interesting texture when crushed between the teeth. They have some rice flavor, but also a distinct grassy note. I like them.

However, I hope I rinsed them enough that there wasn't any harmful bacteria hiding out between the grains. I am only available to rinse any sprouts I grow twice a day.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2010 04:30AM

Have you tried just soaking brown rice in the fridge without actually cooking it? I have a friend who does this and although it is a bit watery it was chewy like cooked brown rice. Maybe if you try to physically push some of the water/juice out it may not be as watery, also I would change the soaking water/juice a couple of times.
Also sprouted or just soaked wheat is a nice grain that may substitute, but it needs to be watched too, as it tends to get a sour, fermented taste to it very easily.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 27, 2011 07:07PM

I had a friend that was a rice fanatic and went raw... then soaked Flax seed in just enough water and it reminded her a lot of Rice... I tried it... I liked it... but i don't know how much it reminded me of rice... just a suggestion!!!

I know this is a raw foods forum but is it so wrong to just have some beans and rice occasionally ... when you have that ultra craving for it? there are worse things!!!

mmm I do like the sprouted quinoa... think I'll get some soon...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 03, 2011 09:45PM

have you tried ani's scrambles? they kind of have a ricey texture

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables