Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So what's the verdict? Are shelled nuts officially raw?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 08, 2010 08:57PM

I remember cracking nuts as a kid and how sweet the almonds and walnuts were. I would imagine that perhaps the pasteurization makes it less likely for the nuts to go rancid and that the nut protects against oxidation? What say youse guys?

Re: So what's the verdict? Are shelled nuts officially raw?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 09, 2010 10:44AM

Codexalimentarius has guidelines for Brazil nuts that would suggest Brazil nuts in-shell are probably truly raw.

"8. At the location of the primary storage, nuts should be dried to a safe moisture content to prevent mould growth and possible aflatoxin contamination during storage. For this purpose nuts should be spread out in thin layers, in open air, on clean surfaces, above ground level, and exposed to sun drying and/or to a natural air circulation..."

Almonds in-shell, when we were kids, were probably raw and might still be. I can't see where the Almond Board of California mandates pasteurization of "in shell" CA almonds. Raw viable enzyme-intact nuts keep themselves fresh naturally anticipating the next spring growing cycle, as long as they are well stored in a cool/cold place. I think it's an advantage to the handlers and distributors to sell them as raw as possible, though they are not bound to keep them "truly raw".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables