Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

protein
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 11, 2010 06:34PM

when i read labels they say most of the protein for veggies is only 2or 3 grams is this true or false and if i eat spinach for iron do i have to drink orange juice to be able to digest the iron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: protein
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 11, 2010 10:14PM

Kevin,

It's pretty well known that oxyalic acid in spinach binds up iron, and calcium. That has nothing to do with protein per se. Vitamin C improves non-heme iron absorption if that's what you are asking. Vitamin C can come from many sources other than orange juice, starting with whole citrus fruits, oranges, lemons and limes.... grapefruit. Don't swear off spinach. Just be sure to get the rest.

Paul

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 12, 2010 12:48AM

Norman Walker said that raw oxalic acid was fine but when we boil spinach then it becomes inorganic and that's where the problems begin. I tend to believe that raw spinach is a GOOD thing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2010 02:26AM

Hm, interesting. I eat lots of spinach. Well, drink it in smoothies anyhow.

If you're interested in nutrition tracking until you have a feel for what works for you Kevin, there are some free site like fitday.com where you can do so.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 14, 2010 03:02PM

whats funny is all the protein and iron and vitamin c you could ever need is right in that spinach leaf.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables