Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Basil up the wazoo...so now what?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:01PM

My boyfriend's sister had loads in her garden and was kind enough to hand over bunches. It's so perishable that I have always had trouble storing it. It almost makes sense to use it within 24 hours. I stuck it in a jar of water but it still was decaying. So I took half of it and froze it. Can I make pesto out of frozen basil? Anyone got an amazing raw pesto recipe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basil up the wazoo...so now what?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2010 07:07PM

I pulled all the leaves off our plant the other day, they're stored in the fridge in the salad spinner and now I'm afraid to look and see if it's all spoiled or not. I was going to make pesto and freeze that, don't see why you can't use frozen basil to make the pesto, it should be fine.

I use:

Basil
Parsley
pinenuts
sunflower seeds
nutritional yeast
salt
pepper
garlic
olive oil

All to taste, I am so lazy about measurements.

Date: August 10, 2010 07:12PM

Wow, Coco, I have nutritional yeast, too...I have never bought pinenuts before. I know they are very fatty and would be good for a pesto. Maybe I could substitute walnuts and combine with sunflower seeds. What do you put the pesto on--do you make noodles?

Date: August 10, 2010 07:54PM

I was under the impression that pinenuts were always added to pesto, at least traditional pesto... Well, they are really good but very expensive so I sub some sf seeds. Walnuts would be lovely, I'd use them without the other seeds though.
Pesto is great as a dip, mixed up in a salad dressing or just as a scoop on top of salad, stir it into soups and sauces, use it as a sandwich spread (on lettuce leaf or cucumber gorilla sandwiches), in wraps, on zucchini pasta. Pesto is yummy!

Date: August 10, 2010 08:44PM

Thanks...yeah, that's my main reason for not snapping up the pine nuts--very expensive. And the price has jumped in the last year, it seems. I would love to try either sunflower or pumpkin seeds and maybe add a bit of olive oil.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 10, 2010 10:02PM

I use pistachio and sunflower seeds as a pine nut substitute, allot cheaper, and I find it tastes really amazingsmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 10, 2010 10:42PM

Curator, are those pistachios in the shell raw? I have never remembered seeing a package of raw pistachios. They are usually roasted in the shell, I thought...If you have a good source, do tell...

Date: August 10, 2010 10:51PM

nope, roasted, Ive used raw almonds be4 as well, but im of the opinion that in situations where an ingredient makes up 10% or less of a raw recipe, and happens to be cooked...I really don't believe it has a negative impact on health... I could be wrong though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 10, 2010 11:28PM

Well, it's a fat and I prefer those raw but a bit once in a while won't kill ya.
I made veggie soup today, I don't mind some cooked veggies Especially if it means my kids will eat them all up! grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2010 12:09AM

I wonder why they don't have raw pistachios? I loovvve pistachios!

Date: August 11, 2010 12:20AM

im not sure why either, but im sure there is probably a fairly good reason, they probably go rancid really fast or something like that...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:49AM

Bananawho, I don't have a current source because I haven't eaten pistachios in years, but there are raw pistachios. I've had them. They are not too hard to find. Here's one source: [www.nutsonline.com]. I've never used this company, so I can't recommend them, but anyway raw pistachios in the shell do exist.

Date: August 11, 2010 12:52AM

dang, pricey... still though waaaaaay cheaper than pine nuts...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 11, 2010 01:09AM

I thought they were steamed or something to get the shells to open. I don't care, if I find unroased unsalted pistachios I gorge myself on them whether they are really raw or not, I make an exception for those things because I LOVE them!

My basil is skunky, I waited too long. Oh well.

Date: August 11, 2010 01:14AM

No, the shells open when ripe. Cultivars have been selected for that trait.

[en.wikipedia.org]

When the fruit ripens, the shell changes from green to an autumnal yellow/red and abruptly splits part way open (see photo). This is known as dehiscence, and happens with an audible pop. The splitting open is a trait that has been selected by humans[7]. Commercial cultivars vary in how consistently they split open.

Date: August 11, 2010 01:21AM

Oh, and for a suggestion of what to do with basil. It tastes great fresh with any kind of tomato salad. I like it on finely chopped on sliced tomatoes and mixed with a bit of vinegar.

Instead of freezing it next time, you might try drying it with a dehydrator or in the oven. You can crumble it and sprinkle it in salads.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:05PM

I've ordered from [www.nutsonline.com] several times (raw shelled pistachio nuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds) and they're great! Definitely recommended. smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 11, 2010 12:08PM

As far as basil goes, I don't have a pesto recipe, but it is great with tomatoes and raw pistachios. Just take a slice of tomato, top with a basil leaf and one pistachio nut (or any favorite nut) and eat. If you pig out on tomatoes like I do, then your basil will be gone in no time. smiling smiley

Also, Frederic Patenaude recently mentioned having a banana-blueberry-BASIL smoothie in Czech Republic. Sounds horrible, I know, but apparently it's really tasty (just don't overdo it on the basil). smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 11, 2010 01:46PM

It has a slightyly licoricey flavour, I can see it working. Sort of.

Date: August 11, 2010 09:43PM

IT...died. My basil that I left out, that is...

I just stuck the drying stalk in the ground in a shady area. I wonder if anything will come of it? I think it's part of the mint family and they grow like weeds. Here's hopin'...

I will have to use what's in the freezer. I wonder if it'll be very good in a pesto thawed or if I should just make some spaghetti sauce (cooked) and be done with it...

Oh well, RIP basil that I left out...I hardly knew yesad smiley

Date: August 11, 2010 09:44PM

veghunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bananawho, I don't have a current source because I
> haven't eaten pistachios in years, but there are
> raw pistachios. I've had them. They are not too
> hard to find. Here's one source:
> [www.nutsonline.com]
> ell.html. I've never used this company, so I
> can't recommend them, but anyway raw pistachios in
> the shell do exist.

Thanks for the link...The price isn't too bad, considering...When my ship comes in, I am so there.

Date: August 12, 2010 12:09AM

It likes crap soil, oddly enough. Mine is growing new leaves now, not enough for pesto but some for just eating.

Date: August 12, 2010 12:35PM

ya know, great conversation here and all, but every time I see a new post in this thread, and I read the name of the thread before entering, I have the most uncomfortable mental picture,LOL...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 12, 2010 03:54PM

Me too, curator. I didn't wanna be the first to say anything. tongue sticking out smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 13, 2010 08:20AM

I didnt want to either, but I thought, hey, If I dont do it, nobody will!!!smiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables