Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconuts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 18, 2010 05:43PM

Question: How do you shell a ripe coconut? I have no issues of getting the husk off and cracking the darn thing open, but the actual shell is another issue. The meat is really tough and unyielding to paring knives. Every website I go to says to bake it. :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconuts
Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 18, 2010 06:11PM

It sounds like you are eating the old coconuts. Try young coconuts, way more nutritious and the meat comes off very easy. Plus it has alot more water/milk in it too.

Date: August 18, 2010 10:55PM

Yeah. I have had young coconut. I like old just as much as young. I take what my trees give me. Sometimes I get the youngsters, sometimes the older ones. I've never really cared until recently now that I'm going raw.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 19, 2010 12:35AM

Watch John Kohlers vids on youtube; He uses a special tool for removing the meat from a mature coconut.

[www.youtube.com]

I don't have that tool, so I usually make several cuts/slices in the meat with a good knife & then pop the pieces out with a strong knife blade.

It is tedious work, but I don't use mature ones all that often, so I just deal with it.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 01:50AM

uh, really? its that hard? we are talking the mature brown hairy ones right? are there coconuts more mature than those? I just put a hole in it, drain out juice, then bust it up with a hammer into smaller pieces and in a couple minutes I have all the coconut meat...my favorite thing to do with it so far is mix it with frozen pineaple in my omega and make a pina colada sorbet... my favorite thing be4 I decided to try and stay as close to 90% raw as I can afford, was to fry it up in a pan with a little bit of butter...it was weird, it tasted just like popcorn but with a hint of coconut...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:10PM

LOL- the hairy brown ones I ended up putting in a bag and slamming it to the ground in the alley!

Date: August 20, 2010 10:41PM

Slamming hairy brown ones on the ground in the alley... some good summer fun there grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: August 20, 2010 11:13PM

hahahahahahahahahahaha,wow that sounds so wrong,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 23, 2010 09:03PM

You guys...get your minds out of the gutter!

Date: August 24, 2010 01:57AM

IMPOSSIBLE!

Date: August 24, 2010 08:46AM

hahahahahahahaahhahahahaaa<3

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 24, 2010 09:10PM

Curator, since we are "going there"...you know that symbol you typed? Isn't it supposed to be a heart? I used to think it was the male genitalia. I told someone they were perverted, LOL

Date: August 25, 2010 06:16AM

ROFLMAO, yeah its a heart! there is a far more accurate way to type out a facsimile of male genitalia, I will not type it here,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 26, 2010 11:57PM

You tease! Bah!

Date: August 28, 2010 01:44PM

hahahahahaha!!! uh, I can PM it to you if youd like,LOL...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables