Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw almonds..?
Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: September 02, 2010 11:46AM

Well I was so excited yesterday to get my 5# of raw almonds in that I instantly soaked them and now they have had their first rinse and I am afraid I can't think of a thing to do with them. I am brand new to Raw and my mind is blank. My books I have say they will need to be eaten W/I two days and my mind is blank as to what to do with them. I was thinking making almond butter but what do you DO with it? (besides just eat it with a spoon! *smile* ).

I would love some advise.
I have an old dehydrator and am pretty sure it gets too hot and don't want to try to dehydrate my nuts until I get a new dehydrator. (it's an old Ronco - no thermostat)...

For some reason my mind is blank on ideas! Would love some suggestions.

Also wondered what your feeling is on eating nuts with berries?

TIA!~

Re: Raw almonds..?
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: September 02, 2010 08:08PM

Soaked almonds are good for making almond milk, which you can drink as is or add to smoothies. It's very easy to make and quite tasty. You can put one cup of the soaked almonds in a blender with three cups of water and blend until smooth and then strain with a nut milk bag, sprout bag, or cheese cloth. If you want you can add a flavoring like vanilla or cinnamon, but it's not necessary.

You could also add a small handful of soaked almonds to smoothies or soups as is, without making it into a milk first.

Soaked almonds can be used to make spreads like almond butter if you like. You can put them on dehydrated crackers (I think I saw in another thread that you had some out of sunflowers and zucchini?). You could also slice apples or pears into rounds and put them on that or an endive leaf.

Almond butter or soaked almonds could be used as a thickener for salad dressings.

Some people like to eat the soaked almonds as is. They have more of a chewy than crunchy texture that way.

Also, in the future, you don't have to soak your almonds right away. You can soak them as needed, a cup or two for the next recipe you're going to make is fine.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 02, 2010 08:41PM

Great suggestions, veghunter

We make almond milk, it is very easy to make with the Omega Vert juicer. We also have used the almond butter/paste as a base for dressings. Very tasty!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 03, 2010 06:29PM

thanks veghunter

nice and versatile advice

the cinnamon and vanilla sounds good

i just wonder what stores u can get them raw
i think someone metnioned it on the other forum
but now i can't remember

do you?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2010 11:18PM

Almonds are a staple of the raw living food diet. There are numerous recipes on this site and many others.

Almond milk, crackers, pate, breads, spicy nuts, pizza dough, soups, and lots more.

The list is endless

You'll find some recipes on my website

Peace be with you,
Rose Lee Calabro
[www.livingintheraw.net]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 11, 2010 09:06PM

Oh, JuicerKatz, I hope you see this within the hour! I am wondering about the Omega 8006 and making nut mylk. I couldn't find specific instructions.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 08, 2010 12:34AM

To my knowledge almonds sold by retail stores are now pastuerized. They are allowed to advertise them as raw only to distinguish them from roasted almonds. If you live in Califonia you can buy the almonds directly from the growers.

I found a grower that has his website setup as a roadside market and sells truly raw almonds. The site is www.growyourownalmonds.com

The green smoothie girl sets up a group buy on her website each year where you can find people in your area and get together for a group buyfrom almond growers in California. They were sold in 50# increments with a 100# minimum last year. They sold for $3.00 a pound last year and shipping was 75ΒΆ a pound. The more you bought the cheaper the shipping got. You can check it out at [www.greensmoothiegirl.com]. There is a link labeled GROUP BUY.

Posted by: jcherni ()
Date: November 17, 2010 03:45PM

Im finding soaked almonds dont make such good almond butter as when i made it with unsoaked almonds, I only added a tad of coconut oil to it to hopefully thin it down but it didnt help. I soaked a bag of almonds about 4 days ago and stuck them in the fridge so now I think they are too old maybe to make butter with? I hate wasting stuff. Ill have to soak some then make the butter right away and see if that helps but its the consistency and texture of the soaked nuts that ruined it last time. Jill

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 16, 2011 10:29PM

jdsmith3031 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To my knowledge almonds sold by retail stores are
> now pastuerized.
Yep, you're right. Even Almonds labeled as Raw, aren't.
Truly Raw Almonds are imported from Spain. I just ordered a pound to try.....WY

[www.nutsonline.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables