Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Florida Avocados?
Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: September 03, 2010 04:53PM

I've never really been much of an avocado eater but since hopping on this party train I want to give it a go and I've got a question!

At the shop the other day I found Florida avocados and was wondering....Is there's much of a difference between those and the typical smaller Mexican/Californian avocados?

I'd love to buy the Florida ones since I'm in Georgia and do my best to buy produce that's as local as possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Florida Avocados?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 03, 2010 07:23PM

The Haas avocados are the smaller ones with darker, bumpy skin and a buttery "mouth feel." The ones that are larger, lighter green, with a smoother skin seem more watery, although I bet they still have a high fat content. I think they are called Fuerte avocados, although there are probably lots of other cultivars.

We all need some fat in our diets, and avocados are a tasty way to get it. But... if you're watching the percentage of fat you eat per day, beware the avocado. Although it's still the "good" fat, it'll up your percentage quickly.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: September 08, 2010 05:21AM

I was in FL for about 5 years. On one organic farm a guy had 12 varietys of avocados about 1 for every month. So when you say Florida varaties you have to say wich one. Some of the realy big ones are very watery and tastless, others like the smaller Hass. Whish I could remember the one they said was best, started with the letter L.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:36PM

I'm assuming by Florida avocados you mean the large green ones, also called "Slimcados" in some supermarkets? Trive is right, they are not as creamy and rich as the Hass avocado, which is because they are not quite as high in fat. According to nutridiary.com, CA avos are 77% fat while FL avos are 69% fat.

Personally, I prefer the Hass variety.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: September 12, 2010 01:47PM

Florida Avocados are a bit tricky as they often aren't very flavorful compared to the black Hass ones. Oddly enough being in Florida, I still rarely find them. Of course I'm only looking in the organic section (I rarely find much local organic). I would say Florida avocados are better if you're just looking to add them to a recipe for fat/protein or to make the meal more dense, rather than on their own. Though you may sometimes find good ones. Being new to them, stick with the more flavorful ones & remember to keep them in the fridge until you're ready to ripen them or to stop them from further ripening.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 28, 2010 05:09AM

ya know, I bet the florida ones would probably be better for those chocolate mousse recipes ya see around... fatty but less flavor to compete with the cocoa flavor...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables