Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My favorite bread recipe
Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: September 08, 2010 07:57PM

I am sure there is a recipe like this because I doubt I created it all on my own but I love it so much I want to share. It is neutral enough to be used for sandwiches and hearty enough to satisfy that bread craving.

1/2 c sprouted buckwheat
1/2 c flax seeds
pinch salt
1 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP raw honey
1/4-1/2 c water

Process the buckwheat so it is a flour - do the same thing with the flax seeds. I use a coffee grinder for my flax since my blender doesn't do a good job. Mix the two flours with the other ingredients except water - fold together. Slowly add water (more or less may be needed) until desired batter like consistency is achieved. Dehydrate. I won't put down dehydrating times because I have a homemade dehydrator and times probably differ from electric ones.

***Side note - substituting soaked and ground oat groats for the buckwheat and increasing the honey to 1/2 cup and decreasing the water makes for a sweeter, even milder version that is good enough to be eaten all by itself like a treat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My favorite bread recipe
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 08, 2010 09:36PM

hi reina

i'm interested in how you made your home made dehydrator
i know some people are just natural inventors
would you care to share?

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: September 09, 2010 01:04AM

I was going to make one sometime. Heater would be a cone shape ceramic heater with a spring coil heater wraped around it gotten at a hardware store.The box would be made of wood and the shelves would alternate touching the front and back to create a labyranth so the air has to go over the top of all the shelves. There would be an air flow gap between the front or back and one end of each shelf. A screened vent in the back at the top for output, another one at the bottom for air input. heater goes in the bottom.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 09, 2010 01:55AM

Back to eden, a cheap hot plate purchased at a garage sale can work well too, and a cheap $10 box fan mounted underneath it (but far enough away to be safe of course)should speed up the drying process considerably.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: reina80 ()
Date: September 09, 2010 05:58PM

Not an inventor, just really poor. smiling smiley Its not ideal but it keeps the food at the right temp so its ok for right now. What it is: I replaced the appliance bulb in my oven with a 75w bulb and positioned a battery powered small fan inside the oven. I keep an oven thermometer in the oven for air temp and occasionally test the temp of the food too. Works pretty well, I just have to remember to check the oven before I start cooking meals for my husband and child. There are some great specs on the internet for making dehydrators out of boxes or plywood, I just got impatient looking for recycled materials and did this instead.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2010 11:10PM

Whether you are using a store bought dehydrator or a homemade one, it is important to check the temperature. You can do this with a simple oven thermometer. Ideally, you want the temperature at 105 degrees or less. I know a lot of recipes say 145 degrees. But it is my understanding that enzymes are depleted at 120 degrees. I always dehydrate at 105 or less.

There's a wonderful recipe for Cranberry Bread on my website. It's made with flax seeds, nuts, and etc. I learned how to make this type of bread at the Tree of Life in Patagonia, AZ. I lived near the tree for almost one year. I studied and work with Dr. Gabriel Cousens.

Peace be with you,

You can access the recipe at:
[www.livingintheraw.net]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 16, 2010 03:33AM

Hi, reina --

I'm a complete newbie to making raw bread, so this may be a Bread 101-level question. When you say to process the sprouted buckwheat until it's like a flour, do you dehydrate or dry the sprouted buckwheat first? I imagine trying to grind it wet would result in more of a mush than a flour.

Thanks!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 16, 2010 04:42PM

reina80 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sure there is a recipe like this because I
> doubt I created it all on my own but I love it so
> much I want to share. It is neutral enough to be
> used for sandwiches and hearty enough to satisfy
> that bread craving.
>...
> 2 TBSP raw honey

Not to be difficult, but honey isn't vegan. I realize many raw foodists use it. But this is a raw vegan forum.

Paul

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 21, 2010 06:22AM

hi reina80

thanks for sharing
so... the 75 watt lightbulb is the only heating instrument? do you also turn the dial of the oven to below a certain temperature as well?

hi livingintheraw

so can people also just use an oven and put it below 105?
i did read how cousens uses `145 cuz he is concerned about moisture breeding bacteria but i tend to agree with you more

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 04, 2010 06:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 06:49PM by pborst.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 10, 2010 06:37AM

pborst Wrote:
> But this is a
> raw vegan forum.
>

I just read the posting rules and it said the forum was for "vegan/vegetarian" living or interested in eating raw foods.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:05PM

i consider honey vegan
it's made from pollen

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:22AM

rawalice how is honey made via pollen via the bee any differnt than milk via grass via the cow

neither are vegan

not that i care really .. im just curious how people justfiy things, not judging you , i am definitely not one too judge lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 04, 2011 01:23PM

well, i'm not exactly sure of how honey is made, but i'm pretty sure the bees are just like processors of the honey rather than eaters of the pollen. they make the honey to eat, not eat the pollen then excrete it somehow

Date: August 04, 2011 01:29PM

i don't know, i guess i just don't get the whole not eating honey thing
i mean, yeah, we're robbing the bees, and if that's your reasoning, well, that's so compassionat to not want to do that, but at the same time, bees are so amazing, and how can one pass up on the nectar of flowers?? sorry bees, but i thank you. i suppose i make myself queen bee whenever i eat honey. how can i ever repay them.

Date: August 04, 2011 01:45PM

i guess (i'm justifying myself here) i just feel like i'm as insignificant as a bee, available to be exploited/ignored, and that is just the law of the land so who cares?
i personally don't really feel like i'm robbing the bees, but really partaking of nature's gifts combined with man's ingenuity of a centuries' old tradition that dates back to a time when agave syrup wasn't "trucked in" and people had to live off the land. i guess eating honey just makes me feel connected somehow to humanity as well as our insect friends and the earth as a whole with it's flowers and roots and dirt, along with the dependence on the heavens for rain and the sun for it's nourishment.
all that in a teaspoon of honey
(royal jelly is my favorite spread for raw bread)

Date: August 04, 2011 01:52PM

here's my favorite sunbaked bread recipe that i altered off of Juliano's Essene bread recipe: awesome!

1 cup sprouted wheat
1 granny smith apple (or pear)
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
drizzle honey (or agave)
1 tbs oil

process homogenize to paste, spread into rounds, and dehydrate
this makes a nice smooth bread to eat like toast

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 04, 2011 09:50PM

Not to make to fine a point on it, but it is a raw vegan forum, not simply a raw vegetarian forum as Rocketship says. Honey isn't vegan. As such, it is inappropriate to print a recipe with honey or suggest it. IMHO.

Kref

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 09:59PM by Krefcenz.

Date: August 04, 2011 09:58PM

rawalice Wrote:
> i consider honey vegan
> it's made from pollen

By that logic, beef is vegan since corn and grass produced it. Honey is not vegan. It's not healthy either. but that is a subject for a different time.

Kref

Date: August 10, 2011 03:31PM

Oh, if anyone actually wants to try that recipe, it's 1 cup of seeds sprouted and thin rounds, maybe a quarter inch+ thick.

by that logic we're all made of p o o p, water and sunshine.
or perhaps by decay, p o o p, water and sunshine. Oh, don't forget the air and the middleman (plant)
honey- missed excretion vs. processor point, no true internal processing by the bees. (I'm pretty sure.) oh and the vegan thing, this is the "recipes" section

down with intolerance!

Date: August 12, 2011 09:13PM

rawalice Wrote:
>.......>
> down with intolerance!

The issue is not intolerance. The issue is boundries. This is a raw vegan site. Honey is not vegan any more than milk or eggs or any other animal by-product. The fact that it is regurgitated instead of laid or milked is a distinction without a difference. I would ask that you respect the boundries of the forum and not endorse animal products.

Kref

Date: August 15, 2011 02:31PM

obviously, this thread is supposed to be about someone's favorite bread recipe. obviously there is a bit of confusion as to the living and raw vs "vegan" issue. of course, duly noted, this particular section is labeled vegan, but then, there is a debate going on as to whether honey is vegan or not. it's made of pollen, therefore, i consider it vegan, if you don't, may i suggest substition versus spamming. obviously, two people now who actually cared to share like honey and include it in their living and raw foods repertoire

an open mind and an open heart

Date: August 15, 2011 02:32PM

oh jeez. correction, this is the recipes section (not the (vegan) discussion)

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2011 06:40PM

I sense that for some reason you feel you are bee-ing ( smiling smiley ) attacked here .. we are not spamming or debating

simply correcting your incorrect definition of Honey being Vegan

As you stated above that you really dont know how honey is made (and its not made of pollen by the way and IS made by an internal process)

here is a an explanation:

A honeybee starts the honey making process by visiting a flower and gathering some of its NECTAR (not pollen). Many plants use nectar as a way of encouraging insects (bees, wasps, butterflies, etc.) to stop at the flower. In the process of gathering nectar, the insect transfers pollen grains from one flower to another and pollinates the flower.

Nectar contains about 80% water, along with complex sugars. Left in its natural state, nectar would ferment. In order to store the sugars in a usable and efficient state, bees convert the nectar into honey. Honey contains only 14-18% water. Pound for pound, honey provides a much greater energy source than pure nectar.

The actual process of transforming the flower nectar into honey requires teamwork. Older workers do the foraging and bring the nectar back to the hive. There, younger hive bees complete the task of turning it into honey.

First, worker bees fly out from the hive in search of nectar-rich flowers. Using its straw-like proboscis, a worker bees drinks the liquid nectar and stores it in a special stomach called the honey stomach. The bee continues to forage, visiting hundreds of flowers, until its honey stomach is full.

WITHEN THE HONEY STOMACH, enzymes break down the complex sugars of the nectar into simpler sugars, which are less prone to crystallization. This process is called inversion.

With a full belly, the worker bee heads back to the hive and regurgitates the already modified nectar for a hive bee. The hive bee ingests the sugary offering and further breaks down the sugars. It then regurgitates the inverted nectar into a cell of the honeycomb.

Now, the hive bees beat their wings furiously, fanning the nectar to evaporate its remaining water content. As the water evaporates, the sugars thicken into honey. Once the honey is finished, the hive bee caps the beeswax cell, sealing the honey into the honeycomb for later consumption.

A single worker bee produces only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime. Working cooperatively, thousands of worker bees can produce over 200 pounds of honey for the colony within a year

Most flower nectars are similar to sugar water -- sucrose mixed with water. Nectars can contain other beneficial substances as well. To make honey, two things happen:

•Enzymes that bees produce turn the sucrose (a disaccharide) into glucose and fructose (monosaccharides). •Most of the moisture has to be evaporated, leaving only about 18-percent water in honey.

­Here is a very nice description of the enzyme process:

An enzyme, invertase, converts most of the sucrose into two six-carbon sugars, glucose and fructose. A small amount of the glucose is attacked by a second enzyme, glucose oxidase, and converted into gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide. The gluconic acid makes honey an acid medium with a low pH that is inhospitable to bacteria, mold, and fungi, organisms we call microbes, while the hydrogen peroxide gives short-range protection against these same organisms when the honey is ripening or is diluted for larval food. Honey bees also reduce the moisture content of nectar, which gives it a high osmotic pressure and protection against microbes./

This page gives a very nice description of the evaporation process:

The physical change involves the removal of water, which is accomplished by externally manipulating nectar in the mouth parts and then placing small droplets on the upper side of cells and fanning the wings to increase air movement and carry away excess moisture.

The effect is to make honey a very stable food. It naturally resists molds, fungi and other bacteria, allowing it to last for years without refrigeration!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 15, 2011 07:50PM

rawalice Wrote:
> obviously, this thread is supposed to be about
> someone's favorite bread recipe. obviously there
> is a bit of confusion as to the living and raw vs
> "vegan" issue. of course, duly noted, this
> particular section is labeled vegan,

No, the entire forum is vegan. You are unwelcome to promote any animal products here on any forum including this one. Check with Prana if you need clarification .

but then,
> there is a debate going on as to whether honey is
> vegan or not. it's made of pollen, therefore, i
> consider it vegan, if you don't, may i suggest
> substition versus spamming.

Nobody is spamming here. We are entitled to our opinions, but facts are that honey isn't vegan. Please stop peddling it.

obviously, two people
> now who actually cared to share like honey and
> include it in their living and raw foods
> repertoire
>
> an open mind and an open heart

I don't what that means. If someone thinks raw milk is within their living and raw milk repetoire, it would still be a violation of forum rules.

Rawalice, no matter what noun you discover in your online dictionary, honey is an animal food. It's not vegan. Drop it.

Kref

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 08:04PM by Krefcenz.

Date: August 15, 2011 07:56PM

rawalice Wrote:
> oh jeez. correction, this is the recipes section
> (not the (vegan) discussion)

The ground rules pertain to the entire forum. Go back to the forum list... scroll all the way down to "Other Topics" (not health related" . It reads:

"Other Topics (not health related)
This forum is for discussing what is considered OFF TOPIC for the other forums. It is still a VEGAN forum, so no animal products, please."

Rawalice, I have been patient and respectful and transparent. So, if you want to continue making posts on honey, knock yourself out. I will simply report them and have done with it.

Kref.

btw, Jodi, thank you for the detail on how honey is made. I learned a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 07:59PM by Krefcenz.

Posted by: john ()
Date: August 15, 2011 08:06PM

While this is a VEGAN raw foods board, and does not allow things like meat and dairy in the recipe section, Honey in my opinion while not purely vegan, is ALOT healthier than "vegan" sweeteners such as raw agave and will be allow in minimal amounts in recipes, in my opinion.

I do eat honey once or twice a month. If you would consider me "not vegan" because of my minimal honey consumption, that is up to you. Lets strive not to live my "labels" but live with compassion for each person's personal choices.

Of course, the best sweetner of all is fresh fruits, I encourage everyone to eat as many fresh fruits instead of concentrated sweeteners.

As a side note: if you do eat fresh fruits, can you still consider yourself vegan? Consider this: Commercial growers (including organic growers) import bees from mexico and other places to POLLINATE the flowers that will form into your fruit. so even if you eat fruits you are contributing to the slavery of bees used in pollination..

That being said, lets try to be nice to everyone and cordial.

Here is a recent video I made explaining the dangers of agave:

[www.youtube.com]

I have closed this thread from future comments.

Namaste
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 08:11PM by john.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables