Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

acorn squash raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:27PM

I bought an acorn squash last weekend, and now I'm trying to eat raw as much as possible. Is there a way to prepare it without cooking it? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: acorn squash raw?
Date: September 14, 2010 11:53PM

success! blended acorn squash, a few dates, a teesny bit of cayenne pepper and allspice. delicious!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 15, 2010 12:18AM

Raw winter squash is so good. I juice it usually with coconut then recombine it into a sort of raw soup.

Date: September 15, 2010 12:22AM

that's a great idea; thanks! do you add spices? I may have added too much cayenne!

Date: September 15, 2010 01:30AM

Thanks, yours sounds so good too, just like that, I couldn't improve on it.

My biggest winter squash just got eaten green by a deer so I built the fence another notch taller hoping for a garden butternut squash or two at least, as the growing season ends shortly. How about a recipe for green butternut squash? Seriously, the veggies that haven't quite ripened by the end of the season I usually find a way to use, in this case somehow like a summer squash. A touch of sea salt and cinnamon maybe...

Date: September 15, 2010 01:36AM

Loeve, you juice the coconut? What sort of juicer do you use for that? I have a centrifical sort and the single screw type as well. The second one struggles with mature coconut and produces an amazingly fatty creme. I wonder about the other kind...

Squash soup come winter sounds divine tongue sticking out smiley.

For the green squash, do you do any fermenting? Might be interesting.

Date: September 15, 2010 02:13AM

Coco,

The centifugal might struggle with mature coconut too but it's useful yeilding a little coconut cream and lots of coconut flour.

Always open to fermenting, finding coconuts often well on their way when cracked open, the last one like that making a pleasent cheezy meal. Hmmm, pickled green squash? I've done that with watermelon rind. I'm willing to just juice these things but it's not like a thoughtfully prepared dish.

Posted by: teresa412009 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 05:16AM

eat raw squash ?I dont think it is a good idea

Date: September 15, 2010 10:34AM

I'm always open to questioning unripe fruit (i.e. pineapple burn) though the immature fruit zucchini has quite a tradition in the raw movement.

Date: September 15, 2010 01:30PM

There's no reason that I have read or heard about not to eat squash raw, if there's something you know Teresa please do share...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables