Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw butternut squash
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 04, 2010 01:04AM

I was cutting up some squash to bake it and I tried it raw. I was pleasantly surprised! I am of the mind that we should not eat raw sweet potatoes or reg. ones because they are unpleasantly starchy. But due to the high water content, I found the butternut much more palatable. It got me to thinking--I bet it would make great angel hair "pasta"! I think I have heard it mentioned as an alternative to zukes. Has anyone tried them raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw butternut squash
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2010 06:13PM

I posted some squash recipes here
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
I think it would make good "pasta" if your spiralizer could handle it.
I actually like grated sweet potato in salads and wraps, it's pretty tasty!

Re: Raw butternut squash/seed milk
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 20, 2010 06:23PM

This year I grew serveral winter squash named "Jaspee de Vendee". (It's a Pepo-type squash, for those of you who are gardeners.) It is a socalled melonette-type squash,too, which means that it is quite edible and enjoyable RAW. Almost as good as a muskmelon.

Now I want to make some milk out of the seeds, which of course still have the husk on. Does anyone here have any experience with making milk out of pumpkin or squash seeds, fresh from the plant? Tks.

I had a look at coco's squash recipes and am anxious to try them.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 21, 2010 09:11AM

I'm envious of your seed selection, Horsea. Have you tried juicing it? I have with butternut, hubbard, acorn and other winter squashes and am never dissapointed. I juice the flesh and seeds w/ husk (all fresh and gooey) all together making a drink with much the same consistency as milk.

Date: October 22, 2010 04:40AM

Well, I'm going to take a crack at it! Never considered juicing flesh + seeds. Will report back. Tks.

Date: October 23, 2010 04:07AM

All righty. I put all the fresh seeds from one of my squashes + a bit of the stringy innards through a grinder. Then I took this ground-up matter and placed it into a blender with some water, made a milk, and pressed it through a seive.

I can safely say that the resulting strained milk is the best I have ever tasted.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 31, 2010 11:48PM

"Jaspee de Vendee". (It's a Pepo-type squash, for those of you who are gardeners.)"

I'm so glad that worked out for you, Horsea, and will try to remember the "Jaspee de Vendee" winter squash variety for next season.

You'll never guess what I juiced this morning, a sugar pumpkin.. seeds and all - not bad.

Date: November 11, 2010 05:31AM

Thank you. Let us know how your squash crop turns out next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables