Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw recipes for icecream makerwinking smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 13, 2010 12:16AM

Ice"creams" and sorbets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw recipes for icecream makerwinking smiley
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 13, 2010 12:29AM

Id search for sugar free recipes on google for normal ice cream that have lots of reviews/comments on them. then alter them to raw ingredients, many recipes that dont have normal sugar in it (or at least "raw" sugar) wont freeze right in a normal ice cream maker, same goes for recipes without fats of some kind... one trick I have heard of is including a small amount of alcohol, such as flavored liqueurs...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 13, 2010 01:20AM

What about honey or agave? Do you ever make anything with pureed fruit?

Date: December 13, 2010 01:36AM

I haven't tried agave, but honey I have tried, it wont work in normal recipes, will work in some good sugarless recipes, im sure either would work in a good sugarless recipe, the reason why sugar is needed for stuff thats like normal ice cream, is because the sugar helps keep it from freezing to fast, if it freezes to fast then you wont get a good texture, alcohol in small amounts helps with this as well, Im fairly certain most recipes that use alcohol use no more than 1 oz, which really, you could eat the whole gallon and not even get a buzz off it, so im sure its perfectly fine, small amounts of alcohol are actually good for you.

As far as pureed fruit goes, Ive never made anything in an ice cream maker with pureed fruit, but I have in ice cube trays with my juicer, puree then put in ice cube trays, then run through my juicer with the blank once or twice, better texture if you run it through , then refreeze... any rich fruits will work awesome for ice cream like textures, banana, mango, coconut... I think if one where to use fruit puree in an ice cream maker, they may have to use a little alcohol to reduce the freezing speed...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 13, 2010 02:43AM

Have you ever used avocado? I love the texture they make in smoothies.

Date: December 13, 2010 02:55AM

I Haven't, But I bet it would work wonders as a source of fat in a chocolate ice cream! Ive used it for like chocolate mousse and things like that, but not in ice cream... I think though youd have to be careful to get the right consistency to the original mixture, or it may not work out well in an ice cream maker... frozen in cubes for the juicer though im sure you could mix whatever you want with it and be fine! still, I think its fatty-ness works best with chocolate...I personally prefer my fruit stuff to be lighter, even when I used to make non-vegan ice cream, all of my fruit flavored ones where made with milk, not cream...

Also...banana coconut spice= awesome... I pureed banana, coconut water, little bit of cinnamon, and its quite tasty... I dont think that would work in an ice cream maker though, I just blended it up, froze it, then put it through my juicer, it was very delicious...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 14, 2010 12:13AM

I forgot to post a recipe from Alissa Cohen's new cookbook. It has a bunch of rawcream recipes and all have the basic ingredients like 2 cups cashews, agave (you mentioned that it couldn't be in a recipe for an icecream maker but apparently it can) and the flavorings. It was pretty basic (except that 4 vanilla beans is a bit expensive) so I am going to write down the recipe because the book is overdue!

Date: December 14, 2010 06:41AM

it cant for a normal recipe is what I said, like you could substitute it for sugar in a normal ice cream recipe, but in a recipe specifically designed to work without sugar, then im sure it could be used, thats why I suggested checking on sugar free recipes, as you should be able to use any kind of sweetener you want in them... Ive tried substituting other sweeteners in normal recipes in the past, agave I haven't tried, but it shouldn't work in a normal ice cream recipe for the same reason other sweeteners dont... If a recipe calls for agave though, im fairly certain its been formulated to specifically work with itsmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 19, 2010 08:38PM

Curator: The proof is in the...icecream! This is from Alissa Cohen's new book "Raw Food for Everyone" (no copyright infringement meant)

Clove Ice Cream:

2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups cashews
2 cups tightly packed coconut meat
4 cups coconut water
1 cup agave nectar

Combine in Vitamix until completely smooth and put in ice cream maker to freeze. Serve immediately or freeze.smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2010 08:57PM

I think you are still misunderstanding what im saying, look at that recipe, is that a normal ice cream recipe? no, its a recipe specifically formulated to work without sugar... thats what I was saying the entire time, if you try a recipe that calls specifically for sugar, and substitute agave nectar, I will bet you anything it wont work,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 19, 2010 10:23PM

Oh, I didn't understand when you said sugar that you didn't mean any sweetner. I have never made regular ice cream.

Date: December 19, 2010 10:53PM

ahhh, yeah, with normal recipes the sugar helps keep it from hardening up to fast, thats why sugar free recipes are really good for adapting to raw Ive found, as they are already formulated to work without refined sugar (sorry I shoulda probably defined it as refined sugar from the beginning) but it seems you've found a really good sounding recipe for raw ice cream that already has all the work taken out of figuring out how to adapt itgrinning smiley let me know how it turns out if you try it, cause it sounds wonderful! (although that sounds like ALLOT of clove...) another yummy variant could be banana instead of coconut meat, 1/2 tsp clove, and 1 tsp cinnamon... and maybe like half a teaspoon of vanilla extract...mmmmm.... dang I want an ice cream machine now,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 20, 2010 09:57PM

You know, you're right about the clove. That sounds like it's a mistake or something. When I have made desserts, it's usually only a half a tsp. tops. By the way, the other ingredients make up the base recipe (although in some icecreams she includes a few vanilla beans) so you can add your fruits or whatever to change the flavor. I don't know when I am getting an ice cream maker so I can't report on it right away but I'd love for someone to try it if possible.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2010 11:34PM

I know when I'm getting one 'cause I ordered that refurbished unit on Amazon winking smiley. It should be here soon, I'll try out some recipes after the holidays and let you know how it goes.

Date: December 21, 2010 02:36AM

sweet! yaygrinning smiley does it come with full warranty?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 23, 2010 07:02PM

Ice cream maker has arrived! Will put it under the tree tomorrow and see how the kids like it. I'll check out the warranty situation then. I can't wait to make sorbet, gotta break out the single gear juicer and cream some coconut while I'm at it. Oh man, I'm so excited!

Date: December 23, 2010 10:59PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, let me know how it turns out!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: January 18, 2011 04:43AM

Check it out!

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
By Heathy/Fairygirl

1 cup carrot juice*
½ cup packed young coconut pulp
½ cup cashews
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup agave
1 ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup chopped pecans, mixed in at the end.

Blend all but the pecans together until smooth and creamy.

Chill in the fridge and then run through an ice cream maker

OR freeze in an ice cube tray and then blend until smooth and frosty.

* Heathy's Note: I like it with all carrot juice, but if you find it too "carroty", use 3/4 c juice and 1/4 cup water.

scroll down this page for original recipe
[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Date: January 18, 2011 07:06AM

that sounds delicious!!!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 28, 2011 04:39PM

Those sound great. Thanks for posting. Anyone try one without the cashews?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables