Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Truffles my Big sister made for me!
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:07PM

ok, well, she was under the impression this recipe was raw vegan, and it is really close, im sure you can all alter it as you see fit, she also says she "thinks" this is the recipe she used XD

3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup warm extra virgin coconut oil (warm enough to be liquid)
1 pound bittersweet chocolate
1-2 Tablespoons Honey- Optional (yeah, not vegan...my sis used agave nectar she said, 1 tablespoon, these are a tad bit sweet though, so it may be good without it,I really love bitter chocolate...)
cocoa powder

blend cashews and coconut oil at high speed for 1-2 minutes. (she doesn't have a blender, she used a marble mortar and pestle on the cashews first, then mixed it with the coconut oil...My big sister is awesome...lol)

Make sure to scrape down the sides, and blend till mixture is a smooth consistency. (im asking out of curiosity, could a blender, even a really awesome one, blend coconut oil and raw cashews so smooth you don't even have any even tiny crunchy bits? cause these truffles are ultra smooth...)

Prep double boiler, If you do not have one, you can use two pots, with the bottom pot holding water.

place chocolate in the top pan and stir constantly until it is all melted, then take it off the heat.

Let the chocolate sit till its of a comfortable temperature to work with, then fold in the cashew and coconut oil mixture.

Let sit in refrigerator for 2 hours

Then, using a melon baller, scoop up small scoops of mixture and roll gently into a ball in your hands, then roll in cocoa powder.

Store in refrigerator or freezer in airtight container.

Ok, here's some comments on this recipe from me... at the very least, this doesn't seem like a recipe made for anyone who hasnt made truffles before, basically, its not super beginner friendly, melting chocolate on a double boiler (even more so when using two pans) can be a tricky process, you can NOT leave it alone for a second! or you can end up scorching the chocolate, and it will seize up...and might still be edible, but not that great, and you wont be able to make truffles out of it! thats for sure! And, as a warning, my sister says she "THINKS" this is the recipe she used, so hopefully it is, and if you make it, it turns out as amazing as the ones im eating right now, at 4 am...lol... let me know how it turns out for you!!! (one suggestion I would make as a possible alteration, would be cut out the cashews, do 1 1/2 cups coconut oil, and I bet that would be wonderful... Or, if not a coconut fan, cut the oil out and use water and cashews for a lower fat version... Im fairly certain it would work, also adding a cashew or macadamia or almond to the middle when forming the balls could be very yummy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 12:09PM by Curator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Truffles my Big sister made for me!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:51PM

You can grind nuts to a powder in a small spice grinder/coffee mill (not one that gets used for coffee, ever), if you over grind they get oily so take care with that. You could also make your own "melted" chocolate by blending the warmed coco oil with cocoa powder until you got it thick. The coco oil hardens up quite a bit and added to the cashew powder it might be the right consistency to roll into balls. Or you can process cocoa powder with dates to make a paste, this will be Very sweet!

Sounds like a good recipe anyhow, I'd try it. There are lots of chocolate recipes at the raw sunny kitchen blog too, she is a total expert with raw desserts winking smiley.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:55PM

mmmmmmm, i'll have to check her out!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:51PM

[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com]

her almonaisse is the BEST fake mayo I've ever tried. The alfredo sauce is incredible too.

This is awesome
[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com]

and if you search here I've posted more than one recipe I've made of hers. The pictures might not still work but I only posted stuff that was delicious.

Date: December 28, 2010 03:55PM

thanksgrinning smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: December 28, 2010 09:52PM

Neat. It's nice that your sister is so supportive.

Date: December 29, 2010 02:42AM

yeah, I was surprised, she wasnt really all that supportive about it till now, its pretty awesome... kind of inspiring that at least one family member supports at least one of my life choices,LOL

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables