Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

coconut chutney - chowmundy
Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:36PM

Hi, I live in India at the moment where raw food is not very common (even side salads). The one raw food I really like making here is coconut chutney (here called chowmundy although that is for sure not the correct spelling but how it's pronounced.It is not a sweet chutney but what is locally called chutney.
The basic version just involves ground coconut and chillis with some water and salt.
however there are many things that people add to make it more tasty.

I take half a coconut - cut it up a little, put it in the grinder cup of my blender and add about 2 cloves garlic, a little ginger piece, some salt, some curry leaf and a little water and grind it. It wont work so well with really dry coconut but needs matured coconut not the tender kind.I dont use much chilli but normally there will be chilli added.
My mother in law sometimes makes it really garlicky which I like and her sister adds a little tamarind. You can also add mint leaves or a little lemon juice. I add amla fruit but I know most people can't get those so easily.
Normally it is served as a side dish with rice and curry or rice pancakes and other South Indian foods but I have it with salads and raw foods too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut chutney - chowmundy
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:56PM

that sounds very delicious, thank you for sharing merrysmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:46PM

Oh. My. Gawd. I think I love you!

I have tamarind paste in the fridge, I love it but never know what to do with it. Lawd, that recipe sounds so tasty, I'm doing it!
Where do I get curry leaves though? And amla berries, do you get those fresh? You lucky thing you.

I think this would be so nice slightly warmed and served with "noodles". Zucchini, even sweet potato would be good. Mmm, yummmm...

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 03, 2011 04:38AM

Curry leaves and amla aren't essential - I have curry leaf tree in my garden and amla from the market here locally. Amla preserves its vitamin C in cooking or drying I think but fresh is nice although they're really hard to eat if you don't blend them into something - very bitter and sour mixed together.

I think the chutney always taste better when local women make it because they use a large stone to grind it...I want to buy one soon and become a bit less blended dependent.
I normally think of it as a side dish but if you make it runnier it may well go well with noodles...it can be made a bit chunky or runny and milky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables