Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seeking Tips : Low Heat Cooking of Grains/Legumes
Posted by: Nick_TN ()
Date: January 04, 2011 04:35PM

Looking for good tasting things like low heat cooked beans,barley, oat groats, etc., that are a protein source. It will also help if they taste good. I've seen some raw grains taste poorly, so much so that I couldn't eat it (sprouted wheat comes to mind., tasted like and had the texture of hay).

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking Tips : Low Heat Cooking of Grains/Legumes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2011 05:11PM

Sorry to say, low heat cooking is still cooking so you probably won't find any info here. The goal on this site is to eat raw... a vegetarian forum might be more useful for this query. Good luck!

Date: January 04, 2011 08:19PM

Oops, sorry about that.

I still think I'll visit here more often though, as I plan to be a full time vegan and eat many raw foods.

Date: January 04, 2011 09:24PM

Awesome possum. There are lots of great recipes and info here. Check out John Kohler's videos while your at it, great stuff there.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 06, 2011 12:00AM

Also, if you do eat any variety of red bean, do not eat low cooked varieties, the toxin in them that can be deadly is only destroyed by high heat, not by low/slow cooking...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 06, 2011 11:56AM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, if you do eat any variety of red bean, do
> not eat low cooked varieties, the toxin in them
> that can be deadly is only destroyed by high heat,
> not by low/slow cooking...

Does this include Adzuki beans? My Pro Vita! Plan book tells about cooking Adzuki beans, after sprouting them for for 2 days, at temps not to exceed 190*F.

Offhand I think Adzuki are OK this way, and that it's the Red Kidney beans that are toxic. If not, I'll cook the Adzuki's too. They're still sprouting right now.

I'm going to start preparing beans in this way, as they're supposed to be a good protein source this way, providing the liver is working right.

Date: January 06, 2011 12:00PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome possum. There are lots of great recipes
> and info here. Check out John Kohler's videos
> while your at it, great stuff there.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

I'll check that out. I used to know a John from this site, which is who I presume is in the vids. Seems that I asked his advice on juicers or bought one from him or something. I came here often around 1999 to 2002 or so. I plan to visit here more often from now on. I have a feeling that eating vegan is something I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I'm starting to believe it when people say meat is related to cancer, etc. I need to clean the mucus out my insides with herbs, and keep it clean. smiling smiley

Date: January 06, 2011 02:24PM

PS - I found the info on Adzuki beans here in another section. smiling smiley Red kidney are the ones you really need to avoid, and mung & lentils are the safest. I'm not sure about Pinto and Black beans.

Date: January 06, 2011 02:33PM

I would not eat those raw, neither chickpea nor soybeans. The bigger the bean, the worse it tastes too IMO. Lentils are great, adzuki and mung are fine but not as tasty.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 06, 2011 11:36PM

yeah, basically what coco just said,LOL...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables