Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Almond Milk - what sort of almond do I start with?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2006 10:37PM

Hello,
New here and enjoying your universe of great posts!
Can someone enlighten me a little about how to make milk from nuts, other than soy? Id like to stay away from soy for now.

For example, using almond milk as an example... what kind of almonds? Wholefoods has many, some are raw, some with skin on, some without, some blanched, some with flavorings added...
I know I need to soak them a min. of 6 hours, but, I just don't know what kind to buy. Should I look for raw, unblanched almonds, for example? I'm just making this up, they are just buzz words that come to mind.

Thank you so much for being there!

Vivian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almond Milk - what sort of almond do I start with?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 13, 2006 08:50AM

Hi Vivian,

Your post is precious. Welcome!

Buy what you can afford. If you can afford raw organic almonds, buy the ones with the skin on as they have not been as processed. Blanched means that they have been put into boiling water to get the peel off.

Soak the almonds overnight in purified water. This is a post that someone else put up. The comments in parentheses are mine.:

"Almond Drink

soak almonds for a couple days and then to remove the skin. There is an enzyme inhibitor in the skin. It can be a little bit of work so roll up your sleeves for that. (I used a paring knife to get the skin off.)

Then I blend them well with water and pour through a cheesecloth into a glass. This makes it nice and smooth. Then pour back (the juice) into the blender and blend with some (soaked, unpitted) dates.

I find it best to have soaked the dates for an hour atleast beforehand so they are soft and blend easy"

Some put vanilla into the drink. Since I cannot find any vanilla that is reasonably priced, I drink the milk straight. You can also spice it with nutmeg/cinnamon, etc.

Use the nut mixture for desserts or nut cheese, etc. I like to put raw, organic honey on the nut mixture and eat as a dessert. But, ouch, that is a lot of nuts at one time.

Good luck.
Therese

Re: Almond Milk - what sort of almond do I start with?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2006 02:28PM

Thank you, Therese!
And for the intuitive "buy what you can afford" ... I try not to dwell on it, treat it sort of as an "unmentionable," but it is very much an issue when one is on a budget! I will make my first almond milk this weekend with your recipe!

Vivian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables