Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Good "Soup" Recipes
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 13, 2006 05:39PM

I am looking for some good soup recipes...I tried RawGosia's "Red Soup" recipe and it was SO good. So now I am looking for more recipes. Anyone have any good ones?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good "Soup" Recipes
Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: September 26, 2006 01:17PM

I like to make soups often, especially now that it is getting cold, and when I've got lots of good crunchy veggies I don't feel like crunching (or I would rather slurp, hee hee)

Here're some things I often do:

use something other than water for the liquid (like homemade nut/seed milk, or veggie juice (even just plain celery juice)

use things to thicken the liquid and make it creamy, like miso, seed/nut butters, seaweed flakes, flax meal, seasonings, avocado, blended tomatos, soaked and blended sundried tomatoes or mushrooms....

sometimes I'll blend some or all of it first, to smooth it out, if I just blend some of it, I blend things like parsley/other greens, green onion, hot peppers, the things that are less fun to chew than other ingredients...

grate fine other things to make a mushy texture out of things like carrot, sweet potato, celery, etc.

put some ginger through a garlic press thingy (or chop)

chop less fine some things for something to nibble in the soup, like mushrooms or tomatoes or peppers

remember that raw soups differ from cooked in that we are not chemically altering the food, to create something new, but rather combining a number of fresh raw tastes. So let the creativity flow, but remember that you will taste everything you put in there!!!!

One thing I've read from raw chefs, and seems true, is that a good recipe contains one of each of the five tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, and (what's the other one?)

Enjoy your recipes!!!!

(If you want, I could write a recipe for a soup I have made, but those are the general guidelines I tend to follow.....

:~D Adrienne

Date: September 26, 2006 01:20PM

oh yeah, and if warming the soup, helps to have it on the stove on pretty low heat as you add the ingredients so it warms while you do all the preparation, just remember to keep stirring and keep it on low enough heat that it doesn't cook on the bottom.

cold soups are great too, avocado is one of my favourite creamy-makers....

Date: September 26, 2006 01:24PM

oh yeah, is "tart" the fifth taste?? :~)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 27, 2006 08:13AM

i thought it was "mild"

jus kiddin

Posted by: northernstars ()
Date: November 09, 2006 12:32AM

I think it is salty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables