Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Tastes like Hostess Crumb Donuts" recipe
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 20, 2011 01:45AM

Just made this for the first time and am curious to see if anyone else has also. Haven't tasted the final product yet, but they seemed to turn out pretty well. However, they were very wet. I think the shredded squash did it.

Speaking of squash... I couldn't find a banana squash (haven't even heard of one, really), so I used a regular yellow squash. Any thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Tastes like Hostess Crumb Donuts" recipe
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 20, 2011 08:45PM

er, what recipe??? also, I dont think I want anything that tastes like hostess crumb donuts, even if its raw, would probably increase cravings for that kinda stuff,hahaha... for me at least,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: February 20, 2011 08:48PM

There's one in the recipe section of this site: [www.living-foods.com]

I've never tried it. I can't imagine how it tastes like a donut. With the exception of the squash it looks pretty much like a coconut almond date roll.

Date: February 20, 2011 09:29PM

I see how it could potentially taste similar to donuts for people who dont have a very sensitive sense of taste, but the consistency would be completely off I think, sounds tasty though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 02:32PM

Well, the final verdict is that these tasty morsels did not, in fact, taste like donuts. I wasn't concerned about that anyways. They were delicious, however, and I would recommend them. I gave away the recipe to a few people.

The main reason for this thread was about the squash though. Haha. And also to see if anyone else had made the recipe before.

Date: February 22, 2011 08:49AM

ah, well, I think thats a good thing, they do sound tasty from the ingredients!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 25, 2011 02:23AM

Uh, it's that quite a lot of nutmeg? The usual amount in recipes is about 1/2-1 tsp. It's pretty strong stuff, plus I don't wanna trip, LOL!

Date: February 25, 2011 03:14AM

I seldom make recipes with as much spices as they originally say, I will try it out with a tiny amount, then slowly work my way up till I get it where its perfect for me...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 25, 2011 07:04PM

Curator, I'm the opposite. I usually want more than they say, but in this case, nutmeg is very strong. Certain spices cannot be used too much or they totally overpower the dish. Ever had asafetida (also called hing)? It's an Indian spice used as a replacement for oninons/garlic (that old debate we had recentlywinking smiley) and it literally smells like the worst body odor you could imagine! I have just stood there taking whiffs out of the jar because I couldn't believe how bad it smelled. But if you use more than a pinch of this stuff, it totally overpowers the dish!

Date: February 25, 2011 11:18PM

Holy cow >.< I dont wanna make my food taste like B.O.!!! :puke:

I used to want more than they say with baked goods, with raw, ive found I like to balance the flavors between the spices and the natural flavor of the base... although occasionally I just really crave some really spicy stuff...mmmmm

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables