Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Biggest Salad Spinner?
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 19, 2011 05:34PM

What is the biggest salad spinner I can get? In stores I have only seen 10" diameter and about 6" deep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Biggest Salad Spinner?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 22, 2011 02:42PM

Kitchenaid, has the largest capacity [6 quarts] where most only hold 4 or 5. [www.salad-recipe.net] I strongly recommend Oxo though, even if it's smaller. Get a stainless steel spinner, $50. Not cheap, but well constructed.

Paul

Date: March 22, 2011 05:42PM

Yay, thanks! I did manage to find a 4-5 quart one that seems big enough for now. They had oxo, but I went with the cheaper one. It was only $20 so if it breaks it's a lesson learned.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:38AM

this ones realy big grinning smiley [www.webstaurantstore.com]

5-6 heads at one time grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:43PM

Just curious--what is the purpose for spinning a salad in the first place? I will rinse all heads of lettuce and simply tear them up on the plate. I assume it's to dry it off, but I have never found it necessary to dry the leaves (except when making a sandwich, of course, and then I will pat dry the leaves I choose).

Date: March 25, 2011 05:12PM

Ha, thanks Jodi! That might come in handy someday!

banana, I enjoy lettuce more when it is dry and crispy. I'm grossed out by the pool of liquid I find at the bottom of a bowl of salad.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 26, 2011 07:23AM

actually wet lettuce also makes any oil based dressing unable to attach to adhere to the lettuce, which also leaves a pool of liquid at the bottom of your bowl...and very little dressing will stick to the lettuce...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 26, 2011 11:11PM

I drink the liquid anyhowwinking smiley My usual dress is simply extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, Braggs Liquid Aminos, and raw apple cider vinegar or raw grape vinegar. And dill and/or garlic for variationsmiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 26, 2011 11:21PM

even thinking of drinking the liquid makes me sick,lol... just not my thing, id rather it stick to my leaves, that being said, I dont use a salad spinner, I just prepare all my lettuce/cabbage, wash it and everything, then let it sit in a giant bowl, drain it more later, then fill up a smaller bowl from that one and add my dressing over the next couple days...

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 27, 2011 02:55AM

hmmm, for me the main purpose of the salad spinner is for storing rinsed produce in a relatively dry condition. Moisture leads to spoilage. Dry produce will last longer than moist when stored.

The salad dressing sticking to the leaves sounds like an added benefit.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 03, 2011 07:34PM

i got these great salad dryer bags at the fleamarket one day. you just put the lettuce in a cotton bag and give em a shake. I love them.

thinking about it, some med/heavy cotton muslin would probably work too, just lay it out like on a towel and gather it up and give it a shake or two (muslin's pretty cheap to buy)

nice and drysmiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:17AM

honestly i just put my leafy greens in lingerie bags and spin around the yard a few minutes and everything is all dry grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables