Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw tahini - help!
Posted by: queenbee ()
Date: July 08, 2011 01:48PM

So in trying to make raw tahini, I followed the directions that came with my Vitamix. Basically, add sesame seeds and process until you get tahini.

That did not happen. It was so thick it almost overheated my machine. So I added some sesame oil and some water, but stopped b/c it wasn't working and I didn't want to "ruin" the tahini.

Right now I basically have sesame paste (strong tasting b/c of the sesame oil).

Does anyone have advice on how to make tahini??? Do I add lots of water??

Thanks!

Come find me at Real Family - Real Food!
[realfamilyrealfood.blogspot.com]

Re: raw tahini - help!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2011 02:27PM

Make it in a spice mill/coffee grinder. Use a very small amount of seeds at a time and just process until fine, too much and it will get oily and sticky. Or do it manually with a mortar and pestle. There are machines out there that grind nuts etc into nut butter but they are large and expensive.
The only other thing I can suggest is that if you are making a recipe that is watery you can add the sesame seeds to other liquid and puree.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: July 19, 2011 12:12AM

I make my raw tahini in a food processor: I fill the container pretty high (3/4 full or so) and ADD 2-3 TBL. raw sesame oil OR coconut oil.

Then I turn it on -- using the S blade -- setting my timer for 10-12 minutes.

Viola -- it's done -- and delish...!

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: September 05, 2011 10:13PM

it's supposed to work with the Vitamix w 2 cups of seed:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: QueenC ()
Date: October 14, 2011 05:48PM

Does anyone have good recipes to make with tahini? I bought a few jars of it and don't really like the taste. I don't want it to go to waste and was hoping someone had some good ideas?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2011 05:57PM

Hummus, there are lots of recipes using raw zucchini instead of cooked chickpeas. It's great in sauces and salad dressings too, awesome in any nut/seed pate. It's not a fantastic flavour on it's own but is it ever good mixed into stuff!

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:55AM

i've tried some tahini cookies (i think they were called tahini thumbprints)
the sesame flavor is great mixed with sugar) but to stay raw, i've used it before with cocoa/carob to excellent cookie results

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: December 06, 2011 10:40PM

I have made both raw tahnini and hummus using a regular blender that came with an extra grinding blade. It did take a bit of time and i did have to scrape some of the seeds off the inner walls of the container, but eventually i managed to obtain a pretty smooth tahini. The idea is that you will be needing to add some oil at the beginning, to prevent the seeds from clumping completely. Sesame seeds are oily, but apparently not oily enough on their own.

Hummus was actually a bit harder to make, as i like using soaked chickpeas. It took an hour to grind everything, but it was worth the effort. I also add a bit of cumin for an extra kick. It tastes delish!

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables