Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Washing Veggies
Date: August 10, 2011 08:03PM

Say, how do y'all wash your veggies?

I hand-wash practically every leaf, and it's taking me well over half an hour to make a 64-oz. karafe! Then again, I do like to stuff my smoothies full of lotsa veggies....

Should I use soap? Soak in dishwashing detergent? Think I will do this....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Washing Veggies
Date: August 10, 2011 08:04PM

Oops sorry don't know why the existing "washing veggies" thread escaped my notice!

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 12, 2011 02:39PM

Did you notice the thread about b12? basically, it says b12 is abundant in dirt, and is really high in unwashed produce. of course i'd still wash mine but it helps to think if you do a bit of a slack job, you'll be getting extra b12.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 29, 2011 04:45PM

I usually just put all my produce in a spin basket,use the sink sprayer to rinse everything,spin the heck out of them,and put into plastic bags.
I never use anything except plain water.

Vin

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 14, 2011 08:39PM

er - if it looks grubby I just run it under the tap - basically I'm not too fussy. It takes me no longer than this has taken to type cos most of it looks ok. If it's bought stuff then I just rinse it all - but very briefly.

Posted by: OmahaGuy ()
Date: September 19, 2011 04:41AM

Hey Everyone-

I use an ozonator to soak my fruit anfd veggies. It seems to work well. I also use it to clean my sponges, and toothbrush. I wash my face in the ozonated water also...A lot of uses, not to mention olive oil.
Nice to be here,
Bob
OmahaGuy

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: September 20, 2011 01:01AM

I usually soak my fruits and veg in filtered water in a large bowl or tub for a minute or two with gentle agitation. Sometimes I add a drop of Dr. Bronner's soap to store bought items. I use salt water for home grown.

Dr. Greger says recent research shows that washing is ineffective for ridding pesticides, but peeling is more effective [nutritionfacts.org]. But, I don't know. I've definitely seen pesticide washed off, e.g. pulling parsley out of the bowl of purple water.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 09:53PM

i posted this somewhere else but got the ratio wrong. hydrogen peroxide (3%) is 1/4 cup per two gallons (Helene Silver) I only do this for non-organic.

i'd save the dish soap for wax scrub removal only. have you ever grown your own veggies? they really don't get THAT dirty! but i'd go with the peroxide if your worried about pesticides. probably rinses way easier than dish soap.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2011 08:16PM

I just either rinse or soak in tap water. I mainly do this to wash off any dirt and to remove bugs. I mainly get lady bugs but also grubs on my greens, and they even survive in the cold environment of the fridge. I try to buy organic, and the bugs are evidence of this. At least no sprays have been used eh!

Cheers,
geo

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 23, 2011 12:27AM

a first rinse, then Susan Sumner's treatment... one hydrogen peroxide and one vinegar.(seperately never together) . will take care of any pathogen... materials are cheap... sounds about right. best.

Paul

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 04, 2012 03:37PM

I'm lazy. A quick rinse under the tap is the most wash they're getting from me. I often wonder though if covering my organic produce in questionable tap water is actually cleansing.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 05, 2012 01:00AM

I read Sumner's piece. [ever77.myweb.uga.edu] I've been using it ever sense. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar (5 % acetic acid rather than 1 percent in the paper) are cheap. A couple of spray bottles used in tandem for cutting boards and disinfecting cleaning surfaces. Been doing this for a bit now. No issues so far.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables