Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut
Posted by: Xephaniah ()
Date: August 16, 2011 09:18PM

Hi! A lot of recipes (especially desserts) call for coconut. I'm assuming they mean fresh, young coconut meat. I live in a rural area in the Pacific Northwest where it's not possible to get fresh coconut but I can get dried, unsweetened coconut. Can I just rehydrate it and use it cup for cup in the recipe? Will it still come out with the same creamy richness?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut
Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 21, 2011 04:15PM

i doubt it.
though making coconut milk with it isn't too horrendous if you plan on making it chocolate.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 22, 2011 12:54AM

If you live in the Pacific NW, aren't there a lot of Asians up there? How far are you out from a bigger city?

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 22, 2011 12:07PM

I've never even seen a fresh coconut! I live in southern Ontario, Canada, and they simply aren't available here, even in cities. I'd be interested in an answer to this,too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2011 12:49PM

Jane, I am here too and can find young coconut in many stores. Perhaps you aren't sure what they look like?
[3.bp.blogspot.com]
Zehrs, the Super Stores, Loblaws etc all carry them.

Date: August 22, 2011 11:57PM

That's interesting, Coco! They sure aren't in stores around here. Next time I'm in TO I'll have to search for some. How long do they last? (If I find some, I'd want to buy more than one.)

Date: August 23, 2011 12:29AM

I'm in a pretty small town (Essex county), are you sure you can't find any where you are?

They don't keep for long, about a week in the fridge I think. Leave the plastic wrap on until it's time to crack it open!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 23, 2011 08:54PM

If you live anywhere within driving distance to an area with some sort of Asian population, you should be able to find coconuts. Interesting, though: not all Asian cultures seem to use them. I deliberately went down to Chinatown in Chicago and couldn't find a single one! (And I have bought durian there in the past.) But up on the Northside there are many Southeast Asians like Vietnamese and Thai peeps and they sell them for a songsmiling smiley

I can buy them in my local town at Whole Foods though. The only stickler is the current price: $2.99! They used to be around $1.50-2.00. I think the demand has quickened in the last two years...

Posted by: merry ()
Date: August 25, 2011 01:15PM

I wonder a little about the ethics of eating transported coconuts since they have to travel so far and are very large and heavy to transport.
But about the original question, dry coconut doesnt usually blend well in my experience since its fibrous whereas young coconut does into a creamy substance. But you can make coconut milk by blending dried coconut with water and the straining, although it wont be the best milk possible if its dry.

Date: August 27, 2011 04:50PM

I think we eat it about 2 or 3 times a year, I try to avoid/minimize food that travels great distances to get to us. If you're making something special though, I say go for it.

Date: August 28, 2011 02:51PM

As far as I have found, there is definitely no source of fresh coconuts here. Only the dark brown very dry ones. If I cracked one of those open, would I find the green shell & fresh flesh inside?

Date: August 31, 2011 04:32PM

No, those are mature cocos. You could speak to the produce manager at the place you shop and see if they'd get some in for you via their distributor. Sometimes all it takes is expressing an interest and they are happy to provide special items.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: August 31, 2011 06:47PM

meat,When I go to Brasil we make smoothies with coconut meat and water and any fruit.
We also juice the coconut meat to make fresh coconut oil.

I believe that you can dehydrate the coconut meat.I've never done that because we don't have dehydrator there,but might be good.

Posted by: burnt ()
Date: September 26, 2011 05:04PM

this coconut oil tastes great [www.virgin-coconut-oil.de]

Posted by: Coconana ()
Date: October 04, 2011 03:50PM

The price of coconuts is low in the winter, and high in the summer. They are in season when it's winter here. That's why sometimes the price is 4 bucks and sometimes a dollar... except at whole foods where you can find rip-off prices all year round!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables