Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pulp from nut and seed milk
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 05, 2011 03:24PM

Does anyone have any good and simple recipes for this? I could compost it, but I'd rather use it for something...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulp from nut and seed milk
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 06, 2011 01:31AM

the pulp makes a good facial scrub smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 06, 2011 04:05AM

Oh really?? What a great idea! Thanks Jodi smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 06, 2011 04:11AM

wheee indeedy ! smiling smiley i often take some almond pulp and warm it and slap it all on like a mask

makes the skin feel so smooth and im sure the residual almond oil is really good for the skin too smiling smiley

really you could use it all over .. add some mint for a nice footie scrub smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 06, 2011 05:50AM

haha! Next batch, I am so going to give myself a nice little facial smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 06, 2011 09:29PM

Marsh,

Save the pulp, esp almond pulp, in an airtight container and add it to your flax cracker mix or manna bread mix if you dehydrate. Pretty easy to do. If you don't have a dehydrator and what I'm saying makes no sense (my wife usually says the latter), then start here. It's a video from John Kohler, now bee-gan,on using carrot pulp from making carrot juice to make carrot pulp flax crackers. Other examples with green pulp [www.youtube.com][www.youtube.com]. You get the idea.

Paul

Date: September 07, 2011 03:55AM

Thanks, Paul. I do dehydrate, so that's a great idea. I've just discovered how easy it is to make seed and nut milk, and I have to say, I do really like it.

So great- now I have 2 good ideas for the pulp.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2013 07:49AM

Hi Marsh,

Making a nut and seed milks is great, but what do you do with that leftover pulp? I've had a play around and come up with a couple of great recipes using leftover nut and seed pulp. This works with any pulp, just as long as the seeds had the husks removed before hand (eg in hemp). If you made your milk keeping seeds on (I often do with hemp milk as shell on hemp is cheaper) then I'm afraid the pulp is only good for the compost heap, but at least it gets back into the garden!

Date: February 06, 2013 07:55AM

Hi Marsh,

Making a nut and seed milks is great,but one question always arises in everyone's mind is what to do with its pulp. I've had a play around and come up with a couple of great recipes using leftover nut and seed pulp which can work intrestingly. You can made your milk in a pile of flour and the pulp in a nut milk first, then adda pinch of salt and a pinch of bicarb.It was pretty perfect for my taste.

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 07:47PM

Question:

Is it cheaper to make your own almond milk? Cheaper than you can buy it?

Seems pricey to make. Just sayin. Would love to, but not sure I can afford it.

What do you think??

Mindy

Date: February 13, 2013 08:22PM

That stuff you get in a carton is not food in my opinion. It's not like it's just almonds and water, it's full of carageenan (no thank you!), sugars, oils, etc. Plus tetra paks are lined with BPA. So, yes, it is more affordable for me to make my own, at least in terms of health. If I don't make it, I drink water instead.

Posted by: rojersequaria ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:38AM

Thanks for posting recipes ....

Posted by: rima ()
Date: December 08, 2013 03:43AM

Hi,
I do cheese out of the remaining pulp ,iadde to it some rejuvelac and herbs squeeze of lemon and salt ,leave it for two days .it tastes good

Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:52PM

The absolute best thing I started making with frozen almond pulp is Amie Sue Oldfather's (NouveauRaw) croutons. Before her recipe that I made for first time a couple months back or so, I'd never found any light, crispy raw vegan recipe that worked! The secret is in the lightness of the almond pulp! Even bone-dry, you won't break your teeth on them!

The only thing I'd add is oil, i.e., olive oil. After trying her recipe out and finding them very dry, I searched for "almond pulp croutons" and then, of course, found tons of recipes and some did add oil before dehydrating (I was soaking mine in the oil/lemon juice dressing before adding them to the salad to avoid the drying), and I found that much better. So I now add oil to her recipe. I still don't know about the oxidation of oils when drying in dehydrator but until I learn if it's good or bad, will continue adding oil to her super-fantastic recipe.

Her raw foods are sensational!: [nouveauraw.com]

{And her "secret inredient" (to me, anyway) is Herbes de provence! It's now permanently in my spice rack!}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 02:53PM by Diana (Cda).

Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: March 29, 2014 03:03PM

Oh, p.s., thought I should add how I work with the frozen almond pulp. Because broken-down raw foods are so full of things everything on the earth likes to consume (including bacteria, etc.!), I freeze the almond pulp after making almond mylk because it just wouldn't keep very well any other way.

I put the almond pulp on a circle of parchment paper on a plate WHICH HAS A CIRCLE OF FREEZER PAPER ON IT FIRST so that it's in between the plate and the parchment (otherwise, as I learned to my cost, I'm having to work at peeling the parchment-lined almond disk from the plate! Not easy to do as it sticks, too!! <g> ), and then freeze solid overnight or during the day when I'm at work. When I come back that night or in the morning, as the case may be, I lift up the frozen disc of almond pulp off the plate by the parchment paper, which comes right off because of the freezer paper liner, then store in a bag on top of the other disks of frozen almond pulp made before in the freezer till I have enough to make more croutons!

The night that I'm going to make the croutons, nothing could be easier because it's such a super easy and quick recipe to make. I take out each round of frozen almond pulp and lay it on the dehydrator rack directly. Since the parchment paper circle it froze on is still stuck to the bottom of each round, no need to line the trays.

Turn on the dehydrator, put each round on a tray and close the D. Then I set my timer for 1 hour. In one hour's time, I have almond pulp again, and I take them out of dehydrator by the circle of parchment paper which now serves as a plate for each round, and dump the contents of each round into the bowl where I'll stir the rest of the ingredients in.

Add Amie Sue's listed ingredients in, stir, and then in about 2-3 minutes, I have my crouton "dough" on a lined dehydrator tray which I then put a sheet of parchment paper on top of. Take out my trusty rolling pin and I roll out till about 1/4" thickness, though one of these days I'll manage to roll them out just a bit thicker to get more cube-like croutons in the end.

So I roll out the "dough", then remove the top parchment paper for re-use somewhere else. I then score not with a pizza-cutter, in my case, but with an inexpensive yardstick I bought at a dollar store which I bought solely for use as my raw food's scorer! It has a hole on one end and everything so I just hang by a hook! I score the dough with the yardstick both ways so I end up with the dough scored into squares, and then pop the tray into the D.

A few hours in the D overnight and the croutons are ready. By far, this is the easiest "complex" recipe I make that takes no time at all and hardly any work! What I mean by that is out of all the dehydrator recipes I make, this one is the one that takes the least amount of fuss and actual work for me to make yet I have a food that feels gourmet-like to me in the end!

Freezing the almond pulps takes moments to do (time and the freezer do all the work!). Thawing them out takes only seconds (a bit of time and the D do the rest!), and then it's just mix, roll out, score and pop into the D. Then just time and the D do their magic but all it took me was a handful of minute and a bit of stirring as the "work" part to make!! And scrumptious croutons are the result. Win-win.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2014 03:17PM by Diana (Cda).

Posted by: LeeniTyler3 ()
Date: August 10, 2014 08:01AM

rima Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I do cheese out of the remaining pulp ,iadde to it
> some rejuvelac and herbs squeeze of lemon and salt
> ,leave it for two days .it tastes good
Chinese tea shop

That stuff you get in a container is not nourishment as I would see it. It's not like its simply almonds and water, its loaded with carageenan (no way!), sugars, oils, and so forth. Besides tetra paks are lined with BPA. Thus, yes, it is more reasonable for me to make my own, in any event as far as wellbeing. On the off chance that I don't make it, I drink water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 08:02AM by LeeniTyler3.

Posted by: Aquareo ()
Date: December 21, 2014 03:30AM

That is a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables