Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ground flax seed recipe anyone?
Posted by: rawne ()
Date: September 08, 2011 12:21AM

I told my sister I'd post an inquiry on a discussion forum for her in search of a nice ground flax seed recipe. She won't do smoothies nor would she try my old recipe of combined flax & sesame & the juice of fresh lemon. She's agreed to heed proper food combining principles but I can't come up with anything she might find palatable, much less enjoyable. I'm thinking a salad dressing or something she might add to her steamed veggies would work for her but I don't know of anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ground flax seed recipe anyone?
Posted by: cy ()
Date: September 19, 2011 03:59AM

I make apple sauce (2 apples on the vitamix) and add flax to it and/or chia seeds too.
With that I cut some peaches,pears,bananas and put some cinnamon on the top.
For me it is a great breakfast sometimes when I don't want to drink smoothies or make some green juice.

You could also make some cereal: flax,chia,pumpkin seeds,sunflower seeds,sesame seeds,apples,bananas,blueberries,or any other fruit,almond milk (water,almond,cinnamon,vanilla,dates) and raisins. I like too sometimes.

obs: I soak my almonds,sunflower and pumpkin seeds before.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: September 19, 2011 11:22PM

I add it to bananas when making fruit leather. The taste of flax isn't noticeable.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 10:00PM

Ever read Get it Ripe by Jae Steele? What an awesome cookbook. If your sister likes to bake at least. This may be common knowledge, but I'd never heard of it before this cookbook. She recommended using a tablespoon (heaping) of ground flax mixed with a 1/4 cup water as an egg replacer in baked goods. OMG her baked recipes all come out great. Even if she's not vegan, I think this book would have her hooked on vegan bakery. (using flax of course) i know, not raw, but still.. had to mention it.

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: September 20, 2011 10:16PM

Thank you all for your responses.
I was really looking for some properly combined, raw ideas but I still passed some of the info along to my sister.

Posted by: miriamkb ()
Date: March 13, 2012 06:31AM

There are a ton of recipes online for crackers made with flax seeds such as:

grouhttp://www.living-foods.com/recipes/flaxcrackers.htmlnd

I like to add flax to smoothies or raw puddings.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:00PM

I wouldn't use ground flax in any recipe that isn't going to get eaten immediately (nothing dehydrated). The oils is flax are very sensitive and as soon as the seed is ground and the oils exposed to air and light they start to degrade. You have effectively rendered everything that's good about flax neutral at best and rancid or beginning to turn rancid at worst.

Fresh grind flax in a spice mill and sprinkle over food, any food, sweet or savory, just before you eat it. No special dish required, just toss it on whatever's on your plate.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:38PM

it is yummy to add ground flax to salads straight. or mix with seasonings as a seasoning salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables