Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I want a substitute for chocolate chip cookies.
Posted by: goldsplinter ()
Date: October 02, 2006 12:48AM

Send thy knowledge onto thee.

And I want it to taste identical too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want a substitute for chocolate chip cookies.
Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 06, 2006 07:24PM

How about using the chocolate brownie recipe and calling them Chocolate Chip Cookies? I be they could work. May have to make them a litle thinner however and pat flat. Creative minds come forth and give us your wisdom to help here. Thanks.
carolg

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 07, 2006 10:39PM

hm, tasting identical. might be tough.

i can do cinnamon raisin.

1 cup pecans
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dates
cinnamon to taste (i like a lot, 2 tsp, but 1 is probably enough)

i put the cinnamon, raisans and dates and 1/2 of the pecans through my juicer together until they form a thick paste, once in the champion, twice in the omega. chop the rest of the pecans (or coffee grind them) until they are coarse, for texture. spread them on the bottom of a pie-pan and press the date/raisin/pecan mixture on top and cut. or knead the nuts in, depending on what you want. i'm sure there are delicious vanilla icings that would go well with this, but this is good enough for my sweet tooth and they travel well.

for chocolate chip, i'd probably do the dates and walnuts and raw cocoa nubs, though mixing some dates and chocolate separate, then adding that in chunks to the walnut date mix without chocolate would probably achieve a good cookie.

so dates and walnuts like in the brownie without cocoa/carob, then hand knead in cocoa/carob date mix.

peace,
Mama Cass

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: October 11, 2006 07:16AM

There is a very involved but delicious recipe for them in the book "RAW" by Charlie Trotter and Roxanne Klein.

Date: October 11, 2006 07:40PM

I just found it. It does call for quite alot of maple syrup, which is not raw. I don't see why one couldn't substitute agave for it thou.... anyway here is the synthesized version:

prep time: the rest of your earthly life.... ha ha

First there is some prep work to be done: you need to make "sprouted flour" the book does not tell how to do this however I would think that one could take some raw spelt or wheatberries and sprout them yourself, then dehydrate till dry, then mill into flour in a vita mix.

Second, you need to make your chocolate chips: in a food procesor combine the ingredients ( see below) and process until smooth and thick. Measure out 1 1/2 cups, cover, and refrigerate; bring to room temp before making the chips. spoon the mixture into a pastry bag with a very small plain tip, and pipe chips 1/4 inch in diameter onto non-stick drying sheets and dehydrate at 108 for 8 hours. Remove from the sheet and dehydrate directly on the shelves for 12 hours or longer, or until dry and firm.

So here is the actual recipe:

Chocolate chip cookies- 1 3/4 cup sprouted flour

6 Tablespoons coconut butter (raw)

2 TBSP maple syrup

seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean

pinch of celtic sea salt

200 chocolate chips (about 8 ounces) recipe to follow

mix together sprouted flour, coconut butter (room temp) maple syrup, vanilla seeds, and salt. Beat on meduim speed till mixture comes together. Stir in chcolate chips. Using your hands, shape dough into rounds 1/4 to 1/2 " thick and place on non-stick drying sheets. and dehydrate at 105 for 6 hours, or until firm. Remove from sheets and dehydrate for 8-10 hours more till desired crispness. Should be hard yet stil moist.

Ingredients for Chocolate chips- 1 cup raw cashew butter

1 cup maple syrup (it's not raw- maybe agave would work just as well?)
1 cup raw coco powder (or carob)

1/4 tsp vanilla seeds ( or reg vanilla I am sure would be fine)

1TBSP nama shoyu ( soy sauce)

combine using the above directions.

I am sure different stuff can be added or changed according to one's personal taste. I made the raw brownies, in another post, and they were delicious, maybe the frosting for them could be made into the chocolate chips in this as well, but I don't know if they would melt when aded to the "batter" interesting.....

Posted by: rawcountry ()
Date: October 19, 2006 07:02PM

Hmmmm..lets see

1 cup favorite nuts and seeds
5-6 dates
1/8 cup agave or honey
1/8 cup raw carob pieces
1 apple

put ingredients in food processor and process until consistency you'd like to see then spread onto teflex or whatever you like to use in the dehydrator

I prefer to dehydrate at 105 deg. for 8-15 hours, depending how soft or crunchy.

Experiment! Yes!!!

Peggy smiling smiley))

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 22, 2006 07:05PM

seems to me like these raw recipes would taste better not "identical" to the chip ahoy's sorry version

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2006 10:30PM

Where to get raw carob pieces?

Date: December 22, 2006 08:11AM

Is there any way the cookie recipe recipe from raw that I theolonisley posted can be taken off?

I was not aware of the © law back then. I would appreciate it ever so.. thanks

Date: December 22, 2006 11:23AM

Here they are, and believe me, they taste as great as they look. I used agave.

and no I didn't empty a package of premade cookies on my dehydrator. This was a labor of love I did for my friends and family, along with other goodies, for Christmas giving. Luckly I had the forsight to make plenty of chocolate chips to make more, cuz the batter is easy.

It's a great book btw with lot's of great recipes and ideas. I own a copy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2006 11:25AM by Petals.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 24, 2006 02:38AM

Is it possible to make "cookies" without a dehydrator lol?
Nope, not trying to make things more of a challenge, I just dont own a dehydrator right now =)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2007 08:07PM

Wow! your friends are very lucky!!! I wish I could order a whole box of these choclate chip cookies, they look incredible!!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:39PM

I have to make those. They look so good.

Date: January 17, 2007 04:18AM

Thankssmiling smiley
O yea ~ yesterday in the raw chef, Russell James blog, I came across photos of similar cookies but he made them double chocolate chip, and they looked so good.

Got to try that idea.

Posted by: rawrocks ()
Date: January 18, 2007 01:32PM

Hello

Do you think you could use sproutes buckwheat and make this into a flour?

XXXX

Date: January 19, 2007 09:20AM

rawrocks, do you mean buck wheat grouts? I have just soaked them. I haven't tried to sprout them, but I don't see why they couldn't be made into a flour. I made a batch using half nut milk flour and half sprouted spelt flour the second time I made them. Any sprouted, soaked flour you can dream up would be worth trying I think ,but I am not an expert smiling smiley

Posted by: rawrocks ()
Date: January 19, 2007 03:15PM

Hello, Thankyou Petal. Ill give it a go

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables